Thread: Spot X

hardb8

Spot X

G'day,
    The off sider and I fished a spot we rarely visit,I haven't been there for quite a while.It's the best place I've fished for top water Bassin,And being overcast and drizzly on Wednesday the 27th we put our original plan aside thinking they might be smashin the top into the daylight hours,So we dropped in for a look.

Upon arrival we noticed the water level had dropped a fair bit,And alot of our usual haunts were high and dry,So it was an experimental run to find where they were hideing.

At first we got a few Spangled Perch off the top,Then myself a nice little Tarpon,I only needed the Bass for the grandslam,But she proved elusive.I had made around 100 casts for one half hearted strike,While the offsider put on a TN/50 a long time ago and was killin it.

"Just put on a trap" he says,But I persisted for another hour for no strikes before changing.Maybe next time?

For some reason,Maybe the runoff on the top layer,The Bass were not willing to come right to the top,But only a few foot under they were rampant,Smashing our traps with venom.Only small fish around 25 - 30 average with 35 bein a goodin here.But with suitable light tackle heaps of fun.

He had 20 Bass and as many Spangleys with three Poon to his total,And I was rapidly making up my numbers when we decided to call last drift.The good ol last cast call was made,And midway through his retreive he was hit and fair bit of line was taken.We looked at each other,Then another five yards went peelin off .Serious one.He then made a few winds as I spun the boat with the Kota to give him a direct line to the beast."He's gonna breach"LOL.And out he came around 50-60cm of Big shinny Tarpon.Seemed like slow motion as I clearly remember his TN/50 being thrown through the air.AWSOME!

He was dissapointed for a bit,But then surprised me with his comment..."What an awsome session"...

It's great to see a young fella appreciate fish for what they are.And realise that they don't have to be big,And that ya don't have ta land em all.Our best fish for the day would have been about 32cm,Numbers landed weren't high,And the monster got away...But we still had a top day.

Goin back for a serious crack tommorrow night on the top (The right time)........Can't wait.....

hardb8

Re: Spot X

Small in size,But big in heart.Great fighters!

-birdman-

great session fellas, no wonder your keepin that spot to your self. dont blaim ya [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

GOOD ON YA MATE
    figjam :wink:

Tarpon is a bonus when there's no bass on strike mate, heaps of fun, did it jump much?