Thread: First bass of the year.

cdenyer

First bass of the year.

Headed out early this morning to test out my new baitcasting outfit, a rod built by Bearclaw (thanks Myles)based on a GL Loomis CB783 blank. Married with a Shimano Metanium XT 2005 ( jap version) and spooled with 10 lb Finns braid. I wanted a rod specifically for my crankbaiting, throwing Jackalls and the like around, and I am certainly very happy with the rod that Myles built for me.

I went once again to North Pine dam, and fished for a couple of hours before the sun got too high in the sky. I managed to catch 12 bass, with my first for the year measuring 52cm. None of the others approached this size although I did get a couple a smidgen over 40 cm. Funnily enough most of the fish were caught high in the water, and were smashing the lures not long after they hit the water.Normally where I fish the bass hit either mid water or off the bottom while rolling the lures back in.

I hope all you fisher folk have a great new years.

Chris

cdenyer

Re: First bass of the year.

another pic

Nice way to christen your new outfit Chris. Beaut fish

bearclaw

Chris I'm glad the new outfit preform well for you and what a fish to christen it with, 52cm I can only dream.

Myles

Pistol_Pete

How do you find the Fins braid... ........Nice fish by the way.

cdenyer

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_P
    How do you find the Fins braid... ........Nice fish by the way.

Fine so far, although all new braid I have used in the past seems to take a while to settle down and lay better on the spool without getting caught up in itself. In a couple of weeks with more use I should have a better idea as to how I like it, but so far so good.

I might add that the best braid I have tried thus far ( and I have only tried about 4 different brands) is the Avani Sea Bass Premium PE made by Varivas. I have my spinning outfit spooled with it, and it's a great braid.

Chris