Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moogerah today Sat 16th

Re: Moogerah today Sat 16th

get down there soon canoedle while its under 12 per cent , skiers are not allowed. yuoll have a ball. cheers bdowdy

Hi Karl

There are no skiers because it's too hard to get their boats in...

Phil

O Rly! Hmm, Early in the new year, I'm there.

I was out there a few weeks ago trolling across the middle of the dam with an anchored bait soaker about 50 metres away, well close enough to say gudday without yelling too loud. When a bloody ski boat decided the best path was right through the middle of us.

Of course the skier stacked about 10 metres from my line. I just wondered what 12 lb Gelspun would do when dragged over someone's legs, extremely messy and painful I would expect. Then the idiot driver had the gall the give me a wave. I think he was shocked when the reply comprised of a extended middle finger and some expletives. Fortunately, the skier got up and left without incident. I've got a 4 metre Quinny and had a crap time getting her in so the skiers must be launching over the other side near the Gorge.

For the canoeists, don't forget Maroon. It's also a small dam and is full of weed and has some excellent spots where powered boats can't go. Perfect for you guys.

I was out there last night and had a ball. Unfortunately the barometer was reading 1014 hpa as I got there so any fish turned out to be a good fish. Caught 2, one on a plastic and 1 on popper. But any time on the water is better than none.

Woody

Hi Woody

I tried to drive round to the other side but could not find the way in. drove for miles but ended half way up a mountain.

I am going to try and launch from the bank.

Phil

G'day Phil,

I saw another post a couple weeks back, you might have even been in it, where Chris Galligan mentioned an alternate ramp (gravel) to the right on the spit. I think he mentioned it was from a another time of low water, but I don't have a 4'bie so I'm a bit more wary.

Chris, if you read this post can you confirm?

Like I said in my previous post, Maroon going well at the mo and there is no ramp probs either. I'm still to see a skier there over my last few trips and its only a few kms different from the Swich.

Woody

Hi Woody

I actually took the time to check it out on Tuesday. It's a bit dodgy but I might give it a try tomorrow so long as it does not rain and churn up the mud. BTW I have a two wheel drive Camry and a very heavy 14 foot Ally Craft.

While I was at the dam anyway I tried casting lures from the bank; hard work but I scored two bass(at least they will be bass when they grow up) and a nice silver perch at 35 cms. I didn't even know that there were silvers in there so it was a nice surprise.

Phil

BassCowboy

Hey guys,

Some info in Feb QFM on launching,

If you go to the spit there is a rocky outcrop with a 15ft drop, the boat ramp I speak of is facing the caravan park if you are looking at the water.

Pace it out first and take it steady can't get too far in but it is clean, I have been launching my Pro Tourny no probs,

If every one has a word to the new owners they might put down some gravel, I have been pusing that point lately, (health and safety issue)

Hopefully they will ease up on the water use soon, it will go to 3% capacity before they cease. At 3 % it is basically just a river, very boring to fish.

Also have seen fisheries out there GOOD TO SEE, make sure you guys have SIPs and don't go over bag limits.

Hope this Helps

Chris Galligan

Hi Chris

Sounds good but I am not sure where the Spit is. I found a spot about 50 meters or so to the left of the concrete ramp which I thought I can manage and it seems quite deep.

Looking across I can see the gorge. Is this where you mean or nearer to the dam wall? I actually fished off some rocks just before the bank goes to the right but could not see anywhere to launch a boat.

I am in a red boat(with Ausfish sticker) so if you see me out there any time stop and say hello...

Phil

Great photography there mate
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Higgins_Family

Great piccys mate... pity the gorge is inaccessible my girls love swimming in it off the rocks. Can't say I have ever caught a fish in the deep hole there though.

RE: 3% yeah I visited and fished the Lake then when all the flats were shallow water/mud, hard on the old boat to get in. I also remember we launched using the 4wd at the far end of the spit but we caught some nice yella and bass in the creek drop offs.

When I took those photos I beached the boat bout halfway up as there was bearded dragon lizards on the bank and small tortoises around and the kids wanted a closer look.

I decided to walk the bank up to the deep hole and flick a G-Vibe on the way in. Just before the hole there was a good rock formation and although it looked good up to there hadn't had a touch.

Landed the lure perfectly within 6 inches of an exposed rock and BAM, 1st time the kids had seen a surface strike. It was a good fish but the fight lasted only a second as it it dropped the hooks.

Not a touch in the deep hole even though I worked it over for a good 10 minutes.
    Live to fish.
    Brett

my goodness!! that water level really is low!