Thread: Squid and Prawns within Morton Bay

coulter

Squid and Prawns within Morton Bay

Hi I am after a bit of help. I have recently moved up from Adelaide and seeking any info on where and when I might be able to get a feed of squid or prawns from Morton Bay particularly around the Peel Island area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Kaj Coulter

Jack_Lives_Here

Re: Squid and Prawns within Morton Bay

Kaj,

Squid
    Weed banks will generally hold a few squid. I'm not real familiar with the Peel area. I know the pencil squid come in around winter when we get those westerlies.

Prawns
    We need a good bit of rain to flush the prawns out. Just follow the Asian (eco raping ) Armada - they seem pretty good at sniffing out the prawns and what ever else they can catch to throw in the pot. Check on the regs for prawns. I think it is a 20ltr buck allowed / day only - even that is a hell of alot of prawns.

Jack

#

asian=eco raping wtf is that suppose to mean. peoples like you are so narrow minded. I'm not at all for raping the sea but fishing for fun is good and a feed now and then of dolphin fish is good,but in future do not dish out degrogatory remarks towards and particular race as in term of being eviromental vandalist, and check the fact before you shoot your mouth of.
    As you never knows what the future hold and it might be one of these so call eco rapist that might tow you back one day.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Cremated_Reddog

Hungry6, if you came from my area then you would know what asian eco raping is all about, but must say it isn't just the asians it is also the ethnics from Syd that come up here and keep evry fish in sight, get off your little high horse and look at the bigger picture

No good bagging a culture for what they have been doing for centuries. Maybe a bit of education is the way to go. Lets face it that food is food and some cultures fish for food more than enjoyment. Education,Education,Education.

Ausfish Addict

Regarding eco raping, I watched a show on vietnam the other nite on optus. How they net the rivers and rice patties. fish and crabs not much bigger then a match box were put through the mincer and boy did it look revolting #. If there is no eco raping then why are so many asians with and without fishing licenses being prosecuted for raping moreton bay. Over there they might need to use every living thing they can get into a blender to survive. But hey this is Australia and when in Australia do as the Australians do..or at least the honest ones. I have seen this on the sand pumping jetty as well. there is never a fisheries inspector when you need one.

Jack_Lives_Here

hungry6,
    Looks like I stirred a bit of a hornets nest - good. My comments were made from observations of my local area and not racially motivated. I don't depsise anyone for talking a feed, it's when it gets to down right greedy that gets my goat. When several people per boat can net a 20ltr bucket of prawns per person per day - what a crock.

Prawns are the life blood of any system. Take what you need for a feed sure but leave some to breed - isn't that basic sustainability??

Maybe it is you that is being narrow minded and not looking at the big picture. Without an eco system we don't have fishing. Governments can only do so much - recreational fishers, to a degree, need to be self regulated.

Luke is on a winner. Educate cultures on the benefits of sustaining breeding stocks. It's like a big jar of lollies - you keep taking without topping it up and sooner or later it has to run out.

Jack

Ausfish Addict

hey jack i agree. Ecducation goes a long way.. however when people say they cant speak englinsh (and I am not culture bashing here) or plead ignorance (as you see) the law is just too lax. My generation (baby boomers) have seen a decline in fishing over the years..what is going to be left for our children and their children. Sure farming is the way to go but there is nothing like catching enough to feed the family..n hey if you dont catch anything legal let it go and enjoy the day # . I myself am now at a stage if a fish measures just legal it goes back for another day..If it has swallowed the hook i have a fine pair of stainless cutters to slip down as far as i can to nip the hook..hooks are cheap replacing our fish isnt.

coulter

Thanks for the info Jack

It looks like you distured a hornets nest with you comments but I totaly agree with you. I can remember an article on the news when I first got to Brisbane it was on Asians who as a group of about 7 or 8 boats were taking as many praws as they could and then would take then to someone waiting on shore and then going back for more. If any one else came near them they were cutting there nets or throw rocks at them as if the area belonged to them. The sooner the fisheries officers and the courts start enforcing the law the better it will be for the vast majority or law abiding people. I know that fisheries are short or officers and resources but if they catch anyone doing the wrong thing throw the book at them. I believe that they should be confiscating their boats and equipment like they do in Adelaide for Abalone smugglers.

Regards Kaj

yep. i am frustrated with how lax the fishery dept. on unlawful fishing act by anybody including pro. fishers.The law is a joke to certain extent. where the fine or penalty is too light for offender. I'm all for prosecuting offenders to the hilt. But to specify a race is unfair as you can find the ratio of ethnic groups and names of offenders in your state fisherydept. reports which is quarterly. As i know the tension between the "immigrants" and anglo-sax. fishos on the water, you can see in the respond to this topic. My approached is that if you se them doing something illegal, pull up and explain it, if you get a hostile respond report it to your fishery dept.and see what happen.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Jack_Lives_Here

Folks,

We have diverted - time we got back to the initial question.
    Kaj was chasing locations on where to chase those prawns a squid.

As I mentioned first up, a good bit of rain should flush the river prawns out towards the mouths of rivers etc. I'm not sure when the banana prawns run - maybe someone can give some insight into this one.

Jack

Ausfish Addict

I am going back quite a few years here, but out the back of green there is a sand bank that has 1 to 2 mtrs over it on a low tide. I beleive that in September onwards this produces Bananas and Kings both of a decent size. We used to drag a bait net on it..hard yakka specially trying to get the net back into the boat without losing too many prawns #:' (but back then we were young and silly) and 2 shots would give us enough for a feed and bait, #not so young now and I dont think you would get me into the water in the middle of the bay again if you paid me. These days I work Thompson beach at night on the new moon if the tides are right..but there is a lot of small stuff these days that go back into the water. Last summer 2 trips and around 4 hours only produced 4 prawns worth keeping..but they went back too..4 prawns dont exactly feed you too well #

i dont know about peel island but there are some good squid to be caught over on the weed banks on the western beaches of moreton island particulary around the grave yards. Drift and cast your jigs, anchor up when you find a groups of them the normally are in groups of 2-6.