Thread: help with id.

adrian

help with id.

hi gang
    I need some help with a fish caught at morton bay . it was 23 cm long and had a white body with black vertical stripes and forked tail . looked like a bream he had a school of his mates all the same ??? they are found at the wrecks . are these fish good to eat or not this fish was relased .

also are butter bream good to eat as some caught went 22 cms???

any answeron these questions are welcome
    anzac

Ausfish Addict

Re: help with id.

Cant help with the first fish but the second sounds like the butter fish if it has rough skin and vertical black stripes. If so commerically when i worked at QLD Fish Board many years ago was sold as John Dory, filleted and skinned they are excellent eating. was goin to put a photo in but for some reason inseting a photo doesnt work...mmmmm..hope this has helped some.
    cheers

imported_admin

Hi

Sounds a bit like a Zebra Fish (Stripey Bream), but according to the books are only found as far north as Sydney.

??? Maybe Luderick?????

Without a photo it makes it hard but I think you will find the species you are describing is either a Bengal Sargent-Major or the 5-banded Sargent-Major both of which congregate around coral reefs, sunken boats or sunken obstructions. I have seen them around 8 inches long but that are rare. They normally travel around in schools possibly for protection. The only other species I can think that it might be is a Convict Surgeonfish and if so care should be taken with them as there is a sharp spine on each side of the base of their tail which can inflict a nasty little wound. These fish grow to about 10 inches in length. I hope I have helped you in some way. Cheers ??? ???
    Cheers Mossy
    Fishntales of Hervey Bay and Fraser Island
    Call Sign Fishntales VHF Ch 73 & 22
    5M Savage Cobia Centre Console

adrian

thanks guys
    mossy might be on to it I know a photo would help but left camera in the car bit too far to go get it first time i've one thanks for the info
    anzac