Thread: Jack rig?

dsh111

Jack rig?

Just a quick one, got the live mullet, got the spot, got the strikes (Burleigh/Currumbin canals) but CAN'T GET THE HOOK-UP.

I'm using between 20-50lb mainline, small sinker, and 20-50lb trace onto 2 hooks tied about 10cm apart (depending on mullet size), bottom hook at tail end and top hook behind head. I leave the drag off so the fish can run a touch. After most strikes i only have the tail 1/2 of the mullet left or sometimes no mullet without seeing a strike. Any thought on what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.

thanks,
    dave

Re: Jack rig?

G'day Dave.
    I reckon you should try keeping your reel in gear and in your hand.
    I've live-baited for them a few times around Maroochydore and the strikes we get threre is no way you'd get your gear back if you had the reel out of gear.
    Where we fish, they only have to go about 1 meter before they're back in their hole.
    Makes for exciting fishng, but we get through a few baits etc!

We use pretty much the same rig as you, but hang onto the rod the whole time.

Good luck!

Awesome fish...

Cheers, Slates

I have the drag set so that the fish can run with the bait, but also hard enough so it will set the hook. If you are winding in & finding no mullet on the hooks, it is most likley that the mullet had died & Bream have picked it clean.

By the sounds of it you're doing evrything right,...... thats just fishin'

I have some info on my webpage that you might find helpfull.

Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

I think that you might be using to big of bait for the job.
    if i was you i would try a differnt rig like a single 2/0 hook on a leader of 30lbs and a main line of 20 or 25 lbs and only use mullet that are about 10 to 13 cm even smaller they dont have a huge mouth and they chase little baits all the time so mabye give that a go good luck
    Craig