Thread: Mackeral

Mackeral

Any tips on livebaiting for these fish? e.g. How deep under balloon, Which is best, live Tailor or Herring or other? Thanks guys!!

Re: Mackeral

Too many ways to catch these buggas.

Try a live Yakka ( yellowtail ) or Slimie ( slimie mackerel ). Hooked thru the nose. I prefer about 10ft under the surface.

Depends on where you're chasing them. Offshore, the Tailor sounds good, but the Bay is different.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Ausfish Addict

My bro does really well down bruns when they are there..no season as yet this year he tows a live bait anywhere from 2mtrs up from the bottom (downrigger) depending on whats showing on the sounder (bait), plus he knows the bottom, usually a hook thru the nose with a treble rubber band to the tail. slimies are best down there, tailor are good, also parrot and squire. One of the old commercial guys up burrum heads still hand lines with live parrot and squire and he uses big buggers, its a crying shame. think i would rather eat the squire and parrot
    cheers.

G'day Sean,

See if you can get last 2 months copies of Bushnbeach. Good articles in there about ballooning for mackerel & live baiting

Failing that, I've got some info on my website that might be of interest to you
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

macks usually hang around 35 meters in depth.
    hook a live bait and see if they are around, i always get more than i could ask for.
    attach a barbless 7/0 single hook to the back of your bait, a mack will taking half the body and tail most times.

Sean not knowing what neck of the woods you live makes it a little difficult but will pass my method of balloon fishing to you , may not be the best but certainly works for me and picks up more than Mackeral can assure you Lol and be prepared for a little tow around the oggin if ya fish out of a boat Lol.
    And you do need a wire trace here Lol, about two feet of the stuff minimum and depending on Run a small weight ta assist the bait in keepin its head below the surface, a good 8/0 10/0 hook attached to just behind the head or slightly back of dorsel fin and another hook a little smaller just above the main hook just hangin there(funny as how most times its this hook that does the hookin) .
    Depending on depth you are fishing i like to at least have the livey five meters below the surface and this is acheved by the use of a smaller breaking strain (6lb) mono attatched to the main line one end and the balloon the other end . This assists with the wind and tide keeping your livey well away from the boat and allowing you to fish bottom or whatever while waiting for something to take your livey.
    Normally the force of the attack will either break the balloon or the finer line letting you know your hooked up and because your not continuousely holding onto your Rod but have it set its a good chance whatever grabs your bait will do so with a good mouthfull so this is where the wire trace is needed.
    Bait????, Baldy Bream, Husser,Stripies, Trevally, but not lipper as leave them to grow Lol.
    Cheers

Thanks for all the tips guys, I fish in Ballina, fished on 23rd May with slimeys, yellowtail and herring, didn't get any mackeral but got plenty of Mac Tuna, only fished about 2mtrs under balloon though, will try deeper next time. Seems to be a terrible season for them but, ****en pros!!!! > > One other thing, what is better, slow trolling livies or anchor fishing them?

when i see the macks while diving i usually see them right in the middle between the bottom and surface.

the depths i was diving i think was about 18 m. so they might have been at a depth of between 6 and 12 metres.

also. if you want some more hints on other fish....

Coral trout. generally seen at a depth of 12m +... generally closer to 16m.

Red Emperor no shallower than 12m.

Bluey's (blue bone, venus tusk fish, what ever u want to call them) can be in water as shallow as 3m in murky water but generally a good size can be found in 5m.

Cod. same as bluey's. can be found in any depth. 2m +

hope this gives you a little help in chasing those targetted fish.