Thread: Cleaning Reels

adriancorrea

Cleaning Reels

Hi all 8)
    Just wondering what the majority of you all use to clean your reel with when pulling the down for a service???

thanks to all

Tight lines
    Adrian

Re: Cleaning Reels

water on all of my alveys. spindles

I use sewing machine oil - available from hardware stores.

Mate,

I wash em out with fresh water then use some new Lanolin spray stuff I got at Budd's Bait and Tackle - seems to work for me.

Hi Adrian
    I pull my reels down twice a year. I have mostly abu . But i have tried a few diffrent things to lube them with but sewing machine oil seems to be as good as any and i use proper fishing reel greace. 8)

But mate how are the sinkers going

cheers spinna

G'day Adrian.
    For a total grease and oil change I dismantle the reel (make sure you've got the manual/instructions so you know how it goes back together!) and wash all components in petrol - including the cloth/leather/whatever drag washers.

For fast moving parts (especially in overheads) use thin oil (sewing machine oil) and for slow moving parts use grease - sparingly!

Good luck!

Cheers, NS

Adrian, i wash down the partsn drag washers with white spirits and brush. Wipe dry and oil with either sewing machine oil , Good quality reel oil from your tackle store .lanolun (spelt right??) oil is okay, though think its abit lite on ???.
    Greese (for gearing and springs)i only use quallity reel greese from the tackle stores and you can order this in reasonable size packs ey.
    Cheers

adriancorrea

Thanks to all who replied 8)
    I always wash my reels and rods with water after every trip.
    It was when pulling them down for service that I wasnt too sure of what to use, Now ive got a better idea.
    Thanks once again.

Tight lines
    Adrian