Thread: Straddie/Amity options

Straddie/Amity options

I am heading over to Straddie with my boat for a week in late July. I am intending to fish around the Rainbow Channel and Amity area and also will head over the bar to Flat rock if the weather is good. I haven't fished this area much before and would appreciate any recent reports or tips. I'd like to troll the Flat rock area for pelagics - What is the chance of a wahoo?

Thanks,

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Re: Straddie/Amity options

Jeremy,
    I've done the Flat Rock trip once myself having beach launched from Flinders.
    It was a touch rough for the week we were there so only got out once. We picked up nothing of size around the rocks but plenty under - heaps of bait here if you want to pick up some slimies for trolling.
    I've got some GPS points for about 12 ks past the headland if you're interested. I've fished there once before and nailed them on a friend's boat but suffered too much in the swell the time I went out.
    Let me know if they're a help to you.
    bugman

Hey Bugman,

thanks for the offer. I have sent you a private message re the offer of GPS marks.

Cheers,

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."

Apathy is the enemy

CHRIS_aka_GWH

jeremy,
    if she does blow up outside don't forget you can get school mackeral this time of year on the run out tide in the rainbow & rous. Fish / troll the drop off around the drains on the centre banks or look for the birds. No where near as big as Mr Wahoo but better to chew & good fun on light gear.
    chris

Hi Chris,

thanks for the tip. Mackerel are just about my favourite fish I reckon. What sort of depth of water are you talking about on the edges of the drains? Troll pilchards or small bibbed minnows? I am familiar with the tactics for chasing surface feeding fish - lot of fun on light gear.

Jeremy

Apathy is the enemy

CHRIS_aka_GWH

jeremy,
    depends on conditions as to depth. Usually on a clear day they're down deep (the 10m drop off). On choppy days they get up closer to the surface & closer to the banks.
    Lure wise, if they are on the surface feeding I use a raider lure 40g or larger. Trolling I've had best success using the 10 -15cm golden bomber with the small bib. Beef up the trebles or back off your drag cause the standard tin trebles will staighten. This year I'm going to try a gold Halco Laser Pro & I reckon it'll do the trick as well.
    Bait wise, pillie or gar on a gang, - no trace (put a trace on or use braid main line & I've found you'll easily halve the hits). Sinker according to current as light as possible to keep you in contact - use old grey sinkers - if you use new ones kiss the rig goodbye. Drift the drop off, I normally turn back after I've past the last bouy toward the bar by about 500m.
    AND take a squid jig, you'll get a good feed of calamari in the rainbow at this time of year as well.
    cheers,
    chris