Thread: spider hitch ????

spider hitch ????

i was sitting around last night trying to find a pain free way of tying a double.( i usually plait them).i got some 10 kg to practice with and tied 5 spider hitches i tried breaking them one after another on purpose. they all broke , but not at the knot . they all broke at the main line.now i think to my self assuming that it should work the same in heavy lines .why not use it all the time. any opinions welcome brian66

Re: spider hitch ????

I use the spider hitch on all my doubles & have never had one let go. Like yourself, I tied several & then tried to break them, with them all breaking the main line & not at the knot. It is quick & does the job.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

g'day heath sounds good to me. i've never been real confident plaiting a double.i think i will be using it from now on. unless i can get a real good reason not to. thank you for your opinion heath brian66

I've had plats on 2 rigs. I can't tie them sitting down in the lounge room little though rocking & rolling in a boat. Infact I got the missus to tie them for me originally
    After busting one off & not being able to tie another the migration to the spider hitch was an easy one
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

gday heath i know what ya saying,im going to give it a go.its not like im gunna use use it for rock climbing its all about trial and error.if i lose a fish or two doesent mater brian66

The hassel with the plat is that if it is not tight enough it bunches up whe you try to wind it onto your reel.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

gday heath. yep that has happend to me also .i got my reel respooled today and the shop owner asked me did i want a double in it. he made it look so easy (he did it in about 60 sec) brian66

Brian if you practice Bimini's a lot then they get easy to do, even in a boat. Use your toe or a lanyard as the anchor point for the bottom end. If space is tight then loop the line around your abdomen and tie the bimini in reverse.

That latter technique is also useful if your after a double that is fairly long e.g. for sails or marlin. While the spider hitch can save you time, I agree that they don't always save you fish.

My favourite knot for attaching the leader to double is a 5 turn "No Name Knot" if the fish are under 50 lb.

If you have not seen this knot, then it is also easy to tie and as tough as nuts. It is a pro fishing guides best friend let me tell you. Link below:

http://www.wolfffishing.com/nonameknot.html

If interested, you should find a bimini diagram on the same web page if you have a look around.

thank you for your reply master-jig-builder... i will check out that site it might be of some use..like you say mate practice is the only way to get things right.. thanks again..... brian66