Thread: Canoes and Lures

Canoes and Lures

Hoping to own my own canoe soon i have thought about trolling lures for flathead. Would soft plastics work in this instance? Has anyone tried this with succsessful results? If so what lures/location.eg sandy,rocky,mangrove bottom/speed

thanks
    dunc

Re: Canoes and Lures

hi dunc

mate i have tride it and yes it will work and soft plastics are the go . I was on a sandy bottem with a bit off weed around some off the fellas in my club do this type off fishing a lot up small creeks and in the bays they seem to do ok . Hope this helps you out . 8)

cheers spinna

I have a 16ft canoe and think it's fantastic. Especially over shallow weed beds and the like. You can be so quiet and unobtrusive. Its perfect for quiet fishing. and you can go places you wouldn't even in a tinnie.

We also do alot of camping in hard to get to places. It's amazing how much cargo they can carry. We regularly have 150kg of gear when we go.

The only problem is that it's a 2 person job to launch off the roof. If you are doing a single fish I have seen a those ocaen kayaks that people troll etc off - they look really cool.

What sort of Canoe are you looking at?

dont know

i just want to do a bit of fishing. relatively cheap one i guess. whack a couple of rod holders on her and were off.

dunc

dont know

i just want to do a bit of fishing. relatively cheap one i guess. whack a couple of rod holders on her and were off.

dunc

If funds are a bit tight and you are interested in flatwater fishing then you will find it hard to go past a standard Canadian style canoe for versatility.

I bought my 16ft canoe brand new for $600 - so if you are prepared to chase around for a second hand you will spend much less. I reckon a 12 footer would be fine to get on and off the roof by yourself.

Good Luck!