Thread: Sinker moulds, where do i find them?

Sinker moulds, where do i find them?

Hi,
    I am keen to make my own sinkers but i cant find anywhere that sells sinker moulds. If anyone has spare one and is willing to sell or knows website or place i could find them i would appreciate it.
    Dunc

Re: Sinker moulds, where do i find them?

Hey Dunc,
    Springwood Marine or most tackle stores should be able to get some types of moulds if they don't already have them.
    Luke

gruntahunter

K.Mart has them Dunc. But where do you get the lead from?.....I would think that would be harder.

PAYNE

You'll find that most scrap metal yards will sell lead. I get mine from a place in Moss Street, Slacks Creek.
    Sinker Moulds, I don't know of a tackle shop that doesn't sell them!!! If you are after the standard ball, bean or snapper moulds, most shops in Brisbane will sell them!!

Take a look at some local housing sites. Builders use lead as a flashing on tiled rooves and quite often throw away short lengths that are left over.

Do not just walk in and take it. Ask first. As a builder myself I know they will not hesitate in saying yes you can have it. But they will get P'd off if you don't ask.

Look for houses with dutch gables or a roof line beside brick work.

You can get your lead at Scrap metal yards and you could make your own molds out of Plaster paris.If you know how?
    Harry

The best place to get your lead is at the local tip. Just take the plates out of old car batteries, and you'll have more sinkers than you can manage!

best of luck Dunc!
    Southwind SF20 'Piscatoreous'
    Savage 14ft tinny "About Time'

I agree. most good tackle shops sell a range of sinker molds. If your after lead at decent prices, contamination free, and are in the Brisbane metro area, then e-mail me or phone on 3311 5262.

any half desent tackle shop will have them in a range of sizers

u could always walk around and steal peoples lead counter weights off their wheels.. but that would be nasty.

try going into a tyre fitter shop and asking if they have any scrap lead weights around, where i use to work had a bucket filled with removed weights. 2nd hand... try there.

how do i get the lead plates out of car batteries?

what safety gear should i use when making the sinkers.

cheers
    dunc