Thread: Lucinda

POC

Lucinda

Hi all

This is my first post to this chat board and must say that it is a great site.

Now my question, I am heading to Lucinda for the first time in the middle of October and would appreciate any ideas on fishing in the area.

We will be towing up a 5.2m Southwind center console and weather permitting hope to go wide or otherwise fish the more protected areas.

Thanks in advance.

POC

Sorry if my question is vague but we only decided to go yesterday and I have had almost no chance to research the area.

Mad_Barry

Re: Lucinda

Mate,

Your options from lucinda with that rig are just about endless

Depending on the weather you'll sneek out to the closest reef's, around the front of Hinchinbrook Is or head to the S/E & slip across to the palm's.

For the times the weather aint much fun for those trips then the channel itself will keep you amused.

Look for a couple of books to get you started, both should be available from bigger newsagents,

1/ "North Australian Fish Finder"

2/ Fish & Boat magazine have recently put out a Hinchinbrook special thingo called "Fishing The Hincinbrook Wilderness"

Be sure to have a yack to some local's when you arrive & get the low down on the tides for coming & going into the channel from the Dungeness ramp.

Brett_Finger

Greta spot for a fish
    Have a look at,
    www.hinchinbrooknq.com/trsm_recreation.htm

might be of some help.
    Hookin,Brett

POC

Thanks Guys

Barry…guess where my first stop is tomorrow? The biggest newsagent I can find!

Brett…That link you sent seems to be dead, I found it today while doing my 3-minute research with the same result, any ideas?

I was planning on spending a day with a guide to fish for Barra, (given my one previous attempt was pitiful) any ideas? I found one on the net called www.crackfish.com, has anyone got any comments on this service?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

POC

Brett_Finger

Mate,
    call into the Ingham tackle Shack and see my mad cousin, he's one of the best Barra fiahermen around and will point you in the right direction.

also when you put in at dundgeness ck go left and fish all structure, when you hit the first creek on the left head across the other side of the main ck, then fish out that bank.when you hit the fork go right!
    fish all structure inthis ck it will get you fish
    Hookin,Brett

swflyfish

G'day POC, I live in the area and fish it regularly and can give you some advice but what sort of fishing do you intend on doing?
    If it is flyfishing check out www.swflyfish.com

If you are throwing lures there are some big GT's around as well as some nice queenfish and mackerel. Cobia should be starting to make their presence known at this time of year as well.

I would definitely see Nuggett at the Ingham Tackle Shack- he is a great bloke- down to earth and not there to misslead you.

By the way- excellent choice of boat- I own one myself and cannot fault them. Excellent in the rough stuff and I can motor through .3metres of water on the plane- great for the flats!

Jack_Lives_Here

POC,
    Hitting the road for Lucinda tomorrow. You'll get everywhere with the southwind. The sugar jetty should be firing for all sorts of critters. I think Bramble reef is only 28nm off Hinchy. The system itself has endless fishy spots and protected water.

POC

Hi All

Thanks for your responses, you’ve gotta love this site.

Hi Flyfish,

I know this is going to sound like a broad answer but we will be rigged for 24 Kilo bottom bashing down to 2 Kilo casting outfits, no fly though – I have enough trouble casting with my Calcutta 400 let alone a Fly outfit!

Basically we intend to try bottom bashing out wide (weather permitting) to dragging lures and casting in the mangroves. A broad range I know but given its our first trip we would like to try all aspects. So some obvious questions….

1. If we go wide is 24 Kilo too heavy? Should we scale back to 14 kilo?
    2. Any suggestions as regarding creeks and so on to try casting lures would be appreciated.
    3. Any local information like…only a first time &*##%% would go up that channel / creek when the tide is running out would be helpful!
    4. The charts seem to start and begin north and South of Lucinda, do you know of one that covers the whole area?
    5. Any suggestions on the best lures to use in the region?
    6. Can you suggest a guide for a day trip to focus on Barra, I know this might sound lame but "when in Rome employ an expert" is my motto

Well I think that’s enough questions without becoming a pain, thanks for your help.

Dave, I hope you have a great trip and would appreciate your feedback when you return.

Best regards

POC

swflyfish

G'day POC,
    You certainly sound like you are there to do as much as possible. As for your questions, I will answer them as best as I can for you. As you may understand I come from a flyfishing perspective.

As for the maps of the area the best place to get them from up here is in Townsville at the 'Navigation Centre'- if you give them a call ahead of time they can help you out with maps from all over the area. As for the area out wider from Lucinda the map to get is 'AUS 828'- this covers the Palms and other Islands to the outer reef. Again, local knowledge is the best way to find out and I would highly recommend talking to Nuggett at the 'Ingham Tackle Shack'. If you want to find out about the creeks and lure fishing, he is the bloke to speak to.

As for line classes up here, it all depends on where you are fishing and what you are fishing for. On the flats you are pretty safe with 2kg and that is a lot of fun. The 24kg line should be ample unless you intend on chasing the whales that are passing through at the moment!. In most cases 8-10kg is better suited. Again this depends on what you are doing with it.

For lures- I would suggest trying a broad variety as everyone has their own 'special' lures that work up here. If there were two to choose that are popular amongst most people here it would be the range form DK lures and the 'bumper bars' from Tim.

As for local guides- that is a good idea and well worth the money if you are only visiting for a short time. There are quite a few working up here and I don't think it would be appropriate to mention them over this board as they are all worth the money and time. The hardest thing you may find now is booking them, as a good guide is booked well in advance. My advice would be to grab a few of the fishing publications from up here and find the ads from guides and give them a call. The other bet is to hook up with some of the local clubs and members as you will find the people here are more than happy to help others out.

If you are stuck and need further assistance, give me a call and I can organise a time to show you around some of the areas. I am more than happy to help out.

Hi POC,

I was up at Lucinda a couple of years back in a similar situation to yourself.

Go and see Al Goodwin (Crackajack Guide) based in Lucinda. He's the guy to go out with and will give plenty of advice even if you just go for a chat.
    I found him by just going for a drive around the Lucinda township.

Have a great trip, I'm sure you will !!

Cheers
    Craigie

POC

Hi All

Sorry for my apparent lack of manners in responding to your advice, by way of excuse I have been down south with work and have been unable to reply.

Well its only 2 sleeps until we head north and I cant wait! hukim na legoim if you see a Southwind called “trust me” please come and say hi.

Anyway best regards and thanks to everyone.

POC