Thread: Keeping Fish Fresh

Keeping Fish Fresh

Hi All,

I've been a memeber for a while but this is my first post.
    Most questions seem to get answered before I have a chance
    to ask. I was wondering if anyone has any good tips for keeping
    fish fresh for a few hours after catching them. I usually have a nice slurry going
    in the esky when fishing from the boat but there are few place I fish being rocks/beach where it's just to bloody hard to cart a esky all that way and it's
    nice to stay mobile. I have tried a few things - burying in the sand, placing in a rock pool, wrapping in a damp towel etc
    But was wondering is there a more effective method - nothing
    worse than getting onto a nice fish in the first 1/2 hour and then tossing up whether to release it in the hope of catching another down the track - more times than not the wrong decision is made.

Thanks

Re: Keeping Fish Fresh

Many years ago i bought a net fish keeper and it works like a charm, basically u put your catch in it and put the net back in the water, u can't get any fresher than that.It would be ideal for what u want to use it for. i have seen them in takle stores and they aren't that expensive either.
    Cheers,
    mulletgut

When we catch Jewies on the boat and they don't fit in the esky we use a hessian sack and poor cold water over it every once in a while, the best way to get a good supply of cold water is to use dry ice, even dry ice in a rock pool will chill the water a great deal.

The only issue I have had with keeping bags is small school sharks having a go at the stressed fish if it is too acessable in the water, try to keep the bag in the shallows.

gruntahunter

The fishkeeper is the best if u are fishing with still water holes and they fold up making carry easy.

You can try the cold packs they use for first aid,the ones you crush to make them freeze.
    They would be good for most fish except for those 25 or30kg jews we all catch.
    Cheers Kevin

Thanks for the response guys - I will prob give the fishkeeper nets a go.