Thread: Point Cartwright Land based???

Point Cartwright Land based???

TEXT

I'm having a weeks holiday at Sunshine & since I'm gonna be near the headland I thought I might give the point a go. I'm from NSW and spend most off my time chasing TEXT on the Nth coast when in season.

I suppose my question really is, should I bother bringing up some gear? I'm finding it tough to find any info on Point Cartright at all...

I'll be have a flick around the river, but getting an early season longie would be great.....

BTW...great site!...I had a look a long time ago & now that Ive had a good look around it looks very professional....Sorry about all the smiles etc.....just having a play around..

Re: Point Cartwright Land based???

Sorry...some missing info, when I was toying around with the BBC tags.
    Now Second Post.....
    -----------------------------------------

First Post.....

I'm having a weeks holiday at Sunshine & since I'm gonna be near the headland I thought I might give the point a go. I'm from NSW and spend most off my time chasing longies / cobes & Mac T's on the Nth coast when in season.

I suppose my question really is, should I bother bringing up some gear? I'm finding it tough to find any info on Point Cartright at all...

I'll be have a flick around the river, but getting an early season longie would be great.....

BTW...great site!...I had a look a long time ago & now that Ive had a good look around it looks very professional....Sorry about all the smiles etc.....just having a play around..

Rod,

Haven't fished the headland off the rocks itself but have had good success where the beach meets the rocks on the Eastern side.

Last Christmas nailed some very good size upto 40cm bream and big Tarwhine upto 36 cm early mornings right in the hole near the rocks.

Fished mornings at around 6:00am and brought home between 6 and 12 fish each time for a couple of hours. Best baits were pippies and mullet fillets.

Even fished Christmas morning. If you're a surfer there's usually a good break there as well. Best of both worlds.

Good luck

Brett

Thanks Bugman,

Do you know if anyone fishes the rocks on the point???
    I dont ever know if its accessable!!!

Cheers Rod

Yeah mate I have seen plenty of people fishing the rocks itself.

We head past them on our way out of mooloolaba harbour. There's a pretty big flate ledge by the looks of it but I guess like all rock rishing it's pretty much good weather only.

I haven't fished of there but I guess you could get mack tuna possibly spottie mackeral etc. Trevally probably as well.

Good Luck

I have heard that people catch a few spotties on the troll around the headland there. So I suppose that if they're there you could probly get one from the rocks if u floated out a livie under a baloon or something.

Best of luck, Lachie

Ausfish Addict

I have heard of legal size squire and parrot caught of the heads, after a bit of a sea. they say they get some thumper tailor there in season.
    cheers.

adrian

i've put in a session there eith mixed results . you can get to the headland with a walk from the southern side not as many tourist on this side . the nortern side of the headland has also got a rock wall on it got a mixed bag here to . i'd take my rockfishing gear and beach fishing gear with you and hope the weather is good to you

Anzac

I remember reading a while back (maybe in B'n'B) about ballooning livebaits off the seawall at mooloolaba for big tailor, mac tuna and longtails but it seems like a lot of effort - waiting for the right wind, carrying livebaits, gaffs and everything else out to the end of the wall. If I lived on the north coast i'd be staying right there for my christmas holidays, but each to their own, mooloolaba is a top spot.

I have fished off the rocks at Pt Cartwright - access is no problem, and there is a fairly wide flat ledge there to fish off. Naturally a small swell is important for safety. I'd agree with the others that you'd be in with a chance of tuna and mackerel withr high speed spinning, floating live baits out under a balloon, or cast and retrieve dead baits. You can catch yellowtail pike for live or dead baits off the Northern rock wall at the Mooloolaba River mouth at high tide casting towards the beach.

If you are really keen though, head to the Noosa headland and Hells Gates, about 30 km north of Mooloolaba and a 4 km walk from the parking lot.

Cheers,

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like it;s worth the effort, so the gear will be coming along.....

I noticed the walls & will definately have a look at them aswell.
    Anyone with a reliable spot to catch some garfish....... ???

Cheers

Rod

There are sometimes gar in the corner of the beach (Mooloolaba) and the North wall. Otherwise there is a small sand bay about half way along the South wall which holds some gar.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."

Apathy is the enemy

For local reports on the fishing scene at Mooloolaba, check out www.kawanabaitandtackle.com.au

Jeremy

Apathy is the enemy