Thread: Where do u catch spanner crabs

Where do u catch spanner crabs

Have just bought and old 18.5ft savage and would like to know can the amature fishermen catch spanner crabs,how and where. I live on the Gold Coast and fish the Broadwater, Moreton Bay and outside.But would like to try something different to fish.
    Thanks in advance
    Duckman

Jack_Lives_Here

Re: Where do u catch spanner crabs

Mates used to catch a few spanners on the sand drop offs around Bulwer.

Ausfish Addict

Plenty of kingscliffe, or there use to be, on the way to the nine mile i use to drop off 4 witches hats strung together about 15 mtrs apart. And a house brick on each, damn hard work pulling them up on the way home tho specially with the bricks and 20 or 30 crabs in them. Then it depends which way the crabs are moving across the bottom, to how much success you will have. Have heard not far out from the back of sth passage will get you a feed.
    cheers.

G'day mate, this is probably further afield than your looking at but if your ever up at noosatry these gps co-ordinates.
    26.17.851 - 153.08.620
    or;
    26.15.591 - 153.06.579
    I have also heard about the drop offs at bulwer so that could be worth a try.

Hope this helps, Lachie

Thanks for all the info guys will keep this info and when in these areas I will give em a go.Don't know much about them but am keen to learn. Jaybee u said u used whiches hats are they like the ones used in sand and mudcrabing just weighted down with a brick. sorry to sound dumb but what sort of detph do u normally get them in.
    Cheers all duckman
    P:S. May end up around noosa way as I use to build houses in that area some time back.

Ausfish Addict

hey duck check your email.
    cheers