Thread: Mooloolaba Offshore???

Mooloolaba Offshore???

Howdy Guys and Girls

I am heading off to the Sunshine Coast on Thursday for a few days of well deserved R and R.

As a bit of a bonus we will access to my brothers boss' boat for a couple of days. From what I gather its a 5.5-6m Hanes. Its gots a GPS, sounder and all the bits but the guys who owns it doesn't fish. (Criminal I know)

As neither of us have had much experience fishing outside and me being a Mexican we are after a few pointers. Last weekend my brother took the boat for a run out of Mooloolaba and he didn't have any troubles with it. All he caught was a a few rock ooglies and what he thought was a bat fish.

Gear wise we have got a couple of TLD's, sealines etc ranging from 20-30lb. Should we try trolling or just stick to the reefs at this time of year. Is it worth trying to get some livies or just stick with lures?

I haven't put down any target species because I have no idea what is available up ther at this time of year.

Any help, advice or spots to try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Jethro 8)

Re: Mooloolaba Offshore???

One of the best areas for offshore fishing is mooloolabah. Get yaself a chart and look for the reefs on the chart. Old woman island can be good and all the reefs around there. Will post u some basic GPS marks later 8) I would stick to the reefs but u may get a few macks or tuna in the bay there i'm not sure. Fresh bait is the go to.

Cheers, Lachie

Got a few GPS marks for ya here mate. Sound around till u find a good spot and u should do alright
    Inner Gneerings - 26.38.610 - 153.10.250
    Arkwright Shoal - 26.33.200 - 153.10.000
    Murphys reef - 26.40.050 - 153.14.310

There are pretty much reefs all up this stretch of the coast so u should find a good spot

Cheers, Lachie

Thanks heaps Lachie

We are real novices to this outside fishing thing. What should we look for on the sounder??

When you say fresh bait what do you mean? Pillies or fresh strip bait.

Cheers

Jethro

Jethro, whats been doing the damage for me of late has been paternosta rigs made out of 50 kilo line with 6 hooks and a pound of lead on the bottom, I use hooks about 5/0 with a small bit of squid or tuna, good tusk fish and other tasty critters are the main fish caught with this setup, the caloundra reefs are a good spot to try if you can get the marks, 12 mile and wide. I find peaks on the reefs and drop on those.
    Rob

On the sounder just find a drop off, peak, holes or any sorta undulating bottom. By fresh bait i mean like from the trawler fresh if u get what i mean. If possible find fresh not frozen bait as it is better. Pillies are a good bait for the reefs as well as squid etc. Like Mackmauler said use the paternoster rig and you should do good.

Let us know how you go, Lachie

Jethro - if you don't do much offshore fishing, don't venture too far - those points you were given are a good start - so is the advice about the bait - get the boat's owner to read up on using the sounder to get the best out of it and look for unusual bottom - anything but flat!
    make an early start there's a sandbank running across the mouth of the mooloolah river at the moment - treat it with some respect and you'll be fine

When you use a paternoster rig dont go over 6 hooks

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11416.html#gear

Lines
    Hand lines and rods with up to 6 hooks on each line are permitted. When fishing from a boat no more than three lines are permitted per person. An artificial fly or lure is deemed to be equal to one hook
    wouldn't like to see anyone get caught
    # # #

Predator, ive just fixed that typo should put that one next to the measuring stick!
    cheers

thought it might have been a slip.

Try looking for featrues on the bottom. Have a look at the following shots as an example. You can see the rise & the fish holding.

Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Thanks heaps guys. Thats some great info.

Fingers crossed with some fresh bait and a bit of luck we might get to stretch our arms a bit.

Cheers

Jethro