Thread: darwin harbour and coastline

darwin harbour and coastline

At the moment things a bit dicey with the sth east winds, but there are plenty of creeks and bays to fish on the right tides.
    The trevally are going crazy at the vernons when you can get out there. Fishing on the high water along the fringes of the mangroves around the nth west vernon island seems to the best option as it protects you from the wind and is producing some quality GT and goldens and queen fish up to 7 kg.

The spanish mackeral are finally starting to come in and are being caught just out side the harbour around lee point and in the clarence straight between the vernons and melville.

The harbour it's self cannot be left out as the fishing is improving with the pikey bream and small trevally going ballistic over 2 inch soft plastic shads and fly.

All my fishing is done with lures and fly and I have had great sussess in the recent weeks chasing the pelagic's when the wind dies off.

The Barra have shut down pretty much except for the odd one being caught on live bait.

Re: darwin harbour and coastline

Hi Locky,

I saw a segment on Getaway last night about Fishing around Darwin and surrounding areas - The particular day trip shown was a flight to the fishing spot in a helicopter before getting in a boat.
    Pretty X'y though

The area looked absolutely beautiful - and very 'fishy' too

The presenter on the show didn't catch a thing - but that's fishing

A trip to the N.T is on the holiday wish list - But probably not including a helicopter ride

Happy fishing Locky - welcome to Ausfish.

Lindy

Thanks for the reply Lindy, I wish I could travel by Helo to my fishing destination, but for me it's the old 4by and plenty of dirt tracks with the boat in tow.

I have only been in Darwin for the past 18 months, so I am still learning the techiques and how to fish particular areas, but if there is any thing I can help you with let me know and i'll do my best to give you a good answer.

Cheers

Thanks Locky - dirt tracks in the 4by sounds alright too.

We beach fish on Moreton and get around in our Patrol and I like that sort of travelling. Though we aren't towing the boat .

I'd love to give Barra fishing a go up in the N.T - when is the 'best' time to plan a trip?

Thanks
    Lindy

Gidday Lindy, there are two peak periods for Barra. As you have probably seen on tele orthe build up and the run off period. Late Sept thru to Nov are in my eyes the better time to fish as the big females start moving in with the water temp rising,(which can reach 32 degrees in the wet) and trolling the river mouths are one the best way to attract the larger fish. Casting around the head lands close to the mouth is also a very productive way of hooking up and the Billabong's also start to fire and there is nothing like throughing a dahlberg diver into a patch of lillies and having old bucket mouth thinking it's breakfast.

May through to April is the run off period, that depends on the rain (which hasn,t been to flash the last couple of seasons) . In this time the place to be is fishing the upper reaches of the rivers in the flood plain regions which can be very spectacular which the barra moving out from the billabongs and into the rivers to breed.

If you are chasing Barra these two periods are the best, however you get barra through out the year using different techniques.

If you plan a trip in Late sept - oct you couln't go wrong as the winds calm down and fishing increases with the pelagics still around for bit of variety.

Cherrs

Good to see another Darwinite online. Have you hooked any jewfish on you lures or flies yet. I have started to flick soft lures to try and entise the jewies, but the bait stil works best, some of themangrove creeks can hold some nice jewies that chase lures. Most are too well fed to bother withthe effort.

Have you posted any phtotos, might have seen youa bout. Anyway see you on the water. Reply and we should try to organise a group of ausfish memebers to head out one weekend and have go Maybe camp out gunn point way something.

HAve a good one.