Thread: Deepwater NP off the beach

Deepwater NP off the beach

Hi

Am heading off next Monday to camp and fish off the beach up at Deepwater NP, never been there before and understand won't get bait off the beach (ie pippies and worms) cause of the slant of the beach, so what do people recommend i use as bait ?

of course i'll probably hit a bait shop before i get onto the southern 4WD track but any advice would be appreciated

thanks

Re: Deepwater NP off the beach

I went to deepwater about two months ago and managed to pull about 50 worms for bait.

Went fishing there with the old man a few years ago now using pillies and some other baits that i cant remember (too long ago) and we got some huge bream and other stuff what i cant remember and busted off quite a few times. One thing took off at 100 miles an hour and after about 5 mins all we got back was a swivel that was bent out of shape pretty bad and a sinker , it bit through about 35lb mono trace. That was in the arvo and the action was non stop. Helped a guy pull a 40 - 50 lb GT up the rocks at Agnes early one morning taken on a butter bream. Its a good spot I reckon

Hope this helps, Lachie

adrian

hit the tackle shop at Agnes for all bait . check the area at low tide to see what is about rocks and the like try the headlands as well . as well as 1770 as the bream are at your feet looking for tip bits. as the guys have said the action is hot when it's on

anzac

Porl, do you intend driving along the beach from Ruhl's beach to get there? If so it is a fair way to Agnes or 1770 from there.

Am coming up from brissie. so was thinking to go via bundaberg and then on my map i can access the park from the south. so looks like i might pick up bait at wartburg. spoke to a friend who confirmed U can get worms but no pippies, i am terrible at worming and he is going to give me more lessons next time we go out (actually thought he was coming but he had to pull out). I think i am heading for one of the two campsites, actually whichever one has less people. i think i'll fish with two rods, one a whiting set up and another a pillie or flesh bait hoiked out as far as i can. Suggestions welcome. Am escaping work, just wanna sit on the beach, drink beer, fish and stare out to sea under numerous influences. If i get sick of not being able to have a fire i might head north or south - incidentally, where then is the nearest place i can camp on or near the beach and have a fire (i am thinking inskip)

Justme

Hi porl
    plenty of worms around last week south of agnes
    try the last hour of the runout tide on the flater beaches
    you can always hoik out your flesh while you keep drinking while the sun sets
    good luck
    lets know how you get on
    LBJ

Hey all interested

This is my fishing report which should be probably posted under fishing reports but since i am directly adressing the kind souls that resonded to my query this is what happened.

Normally i fish by tides and moons and this time just took the time off cause work would let me. hmm. so for better or worse the beach fishing was terrible. Bait - i missed my vietnamese store's fresh mullet so had to by frozen bait. Took IQF pillies, a frozen mullet, frozen prawns from Wartburg plus what i thought at the rushed time were frozen worms but turned out to be frozen treated chicken gut.

So got there really late cause on the map is not that far from brissie but on the road is sooooo faarrrrrrr. Settled at Middle Rock camp area cause no facilities and hoped to be on my own (my board surfer/worm catcher cancelled last moment) and happily was the only one in the park.

Got down to the beach around 5pm hopeful of a tailor and some dart. Picked a good hole with a dual gutter access and chucked in a prawn on a light surf road which i held after turfing in a ganged pillie on a bigger surf rod. Nothing happened. I sucked beers. Nothing happened, not a nibble not twitch not a bend not nothing. Changed bait on the light road from prawn to chicken gut as the sun died. Finally got a good tug on the light chicken gut rod and pulled in an excellent brim. (Yum, steamed in soy sauce, fish sauce, shallots and ginger. The whiting were filleted and munch in beer batter with a sprinkling of fresh ground sea salt) Nothing for the next hour on either rod so i retired and drank too much beer and didn't make it out again that night.

Next day not even a twitch in the morning alternating chicken gut and prawns on small hooks,took in two good size whiting, then changed to the big road and skipped pink rubber flathead lures down the length of the gutters - nothing. That night i fished dusk and not even a nibble on either rod. Had dinner and sucked out beers, went back down with both rods and not a nibble on either for an hour so went to bed.

Next morning i thought enough is enough and packed up and went to Inskip point. Caught three toadfish (actually jagged them cause got sick of their nibbling my pilchard/mullet stip baits to the hook) and two four inch long tailor (about 1ft less than longer than i hoped to catch). Next morning was driven insane by the crows and vowed never to go back to that part of the point.

So, terrible trip. Going to Moreton next month on a full or new moons and nepean tides.

Maybe i needed fresh bait (so used to live worms and live pippies), maybe i need to pay attention to the turn of the tides rather than dawn and dusk, maybe as they do they just weren't biting.