Thread: Peel Island - Local Knowledge

Peel Island - Local Knowledge

Evening everyone,

I've had my boat since June this year, and so far I've only been to the Pine River/Hornibrook a few times and Cabbage Tree/Pin twice.

I'm keen to try the southern part of the bay, and from some recent posts I've seen, Peel looks like a possible candidate for a first trip. On the chart it looks like a leisurely 5K trip from Cleveland # #

I've seen the recent advice re the weather between Cleveland and Peel, but I was wondering if I'm being too ambitious thinking I can make it there in my 3.8M with a 25HP on a reasonably calm day?

As for the ramps, Cleveland Pt or VMR Raby Bay look like the best options - any other suggestions ?

Any advice from frequent travellers to Peel would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan.

Re: Peel Island - Local Knowledge

You should not have problems if you use some common sense. However, do not..I repeat DO NOT,stay at Horseshoe Bay if there is a reasonable south easter forecast. You will regret it.

I've seen the recent advice re the weather between Cleveland and Peel, but I was wondering if I'm being too ambitious thinking I can make it there in my 3.8M with a 25HP on a reasonably calm day?

25 sounds fair to me.

Craig

G'day
    ive got a similar rig a 25hp on a 12 footer (3.7) be very careful in this end of the bay as it can change real quick. weve gone out glassy in the morning in a bigger bayrunner and battled 1.5 metre waves coming back to cleveland. keep your weather eyes open and i hope your rig has a bit of freeboard.
    cheers
    Michael
    P.S personally i wouldnt do it in mine but it is a punt. And no comments on the leaks guys

Hi, If your looking for a bit of bay experience, why start off from Vicky pt or redlands and try around coochie and potts point, banana banks or pelican banks.
    Raby bay to peel is the shortest, but bay conditions can change in the blink of a eye, and getting back across that channel can get hair raising, even in big rigs, not trying to put you off.
    But in a rig that size, make sure the wx's going to last for your return journey.
    As striker said you can get surf on the beach at horse at times.
    Thats why i suggested the bottom end, till you gain some experience out there.
    Theres plenty of good territory around snipe/garden and the bottom end of the bay.
    You can still head to peel from this end, and if by chance the wx does get blowey you can sneak down passed blakesleys and around the top of macleay.
    hopes that helped a little.
    regards

G'day Alan,

I'd only do the trip on a calm day, (no more than a 10 knotter). Raby Bay ramp the best take off place, and watch out for wind against tide on crossing the passage between Peel and Cleveland, those waves can really stand up off Cleveland point area. Perhaps for a first trip (and a new boatie??), you would be better to go with someone else (2 boats) and enjoy the company.

Another possibility would be to leave from Vicky Point and fish around Coochie and Macleay islands, with the waters more protected and better suited for small tinnies (just MHO) and the fishings not that bad either

Anyway, enjoy your day on the water, and have a safe one.

Cheers,
    Tony 8)
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

Damn I'm a slow typer, Landy and Webby replied before I'd even finished (can only use 2 fingers!!)
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to head out to Coochi this weekend and see how it goes.

Cheers.

Hey guys,

Any GPS marks, contours etc etc of where to try and what to target? I'm thinking of trying around there this summer a fair bit also.

Hi Alan,if you went out for a look around coochie, please let us know how you went and what you thought? also if you used vicky point ramp , have they finished the work on it yet and your opinion on it. i haven't been down there for a few months.
    thanks steve [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Life begins when you get one!!!

Hi Steve,

I did go for a quick burn around Coochie on Sunday, was a very nice day out. Headed out from the Vicky Pt ramp about 10:30am.

I'm not sure what work was being done on the ramp, but I didn't see anything that looked unfinished. No floating pontoon yet though.

Anyways, headed around the south side of Coochie and anchored north of the red buoy just off Morwong Beach where a few other people were anchored. Couldn't figure out why, didn't see any bottom structure, but got lots of small bream and a moses perch or two. Maybe need to do a few more laps with the sounder to see what's the big attraction. Has lots of potential anyway. By 1pm it was starting to get a bit rough so we headed into the beach for some lunch on the BBQ.

After lunch we motored around to Red Rock (storm was brewing out west) into the calm area. Fished there for an hour or so, got nothing, then headed back to the ramp. Got out at about 3:15pm.

All in all not a bad day considering the late(ish) start and forecast winds.

Cheers.

Hi again,good to see you had a day with the weather ok. there are nice spots around the island to pull up and have lunch with the kids. heard a few good reports just south of the red buoy,the odd big fish goes through there. from there it's not far to potts point. just a couple more places to try next time.
    bye for now steve [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=happy2.gif]
    Life begins when you get one!!!