Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP.. live bait keeping them alive

Re: HELP.. live bait keeping them alive

i sometimes fish with an old mate of mine @ south west rocks he keeps his livies in the tank till he anchors up then he has a plastic washing basket (deep drum type) with a car tube around the top for flotation @ transfers livies to it @ puts it in the drink tied to boat of course no problems keeping them healthy. if he wants to shift he reverses the process hassle free livies all day cheers brian

I know everone always talks about this pump that pump, but I only have one of those fish buckets (about 600mmx450mmx250deep) I don't have any pump, I just change the water every 30 mins or so (sometimes, with good bait even less) as long as it isn't too crowded in there I have had no problems, sure the odd fish don't make it but majority do.

live bait tank is working brilliant

few mods. one way valve, extented the hose. and pulled the end of the hose together with a cable tie to make the water spray out
    keeped yakkas alive all day and released them to be caught another day
    "whats the time"

had a quick look at ur live bait system [smiley=glasses2.gif] all seems ok, but u may want 2 block the end of ur inlet pipe [smiley=thumbsup.gif] and drill some holes in it to aerate the H2o a little better, also try filling your live bait system with H2o and leave in the sun 4 a few days if slime grows all is well [smiley=laola.gif] if it doesn't or it takes a long time ur container is toxic [smiley=hanged.gif] and this is making the bait sick [smiley=sick2.gif] & die [smiley=behead.gif] i have also found a gental current one direction helps. target [smiley=rifle.gif] the strongest livie for ur bait as a weak one soon becomes a not so livie [smiley=angel.gif] and doesn't attrach [smiley=gorgeous.gif] the right customer at the sharp end. tight lines [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

thanks fellaz same question for me

Not from experience, but.........

I remember reading somewhere on the net about the reason for live bait dying is (as Webby says), partial removal of protective slime layer. Osmosis effectively dessicates the fish (makes them lose water) and they die.

The suggestion was to balance the levels of salt inside and outside the fish long enough for the fish to regenerate their slime layer. ( I think this was about a half hour)

This was suggested:- Half fill you live bait tank with fresh (drinking) water and top up with salt water. This is approximately the same level of salt concentration inside the fish - so the fish doesn't lose water through osmosis. Much lower death rates.

I don't know if it works, but the theory sounds good.

Is this why cast netted bait dies more quickly than jigged bait - abrasion by the net and handling?

Cheers Ross
    Last edited by Sea-Dog; 24-04-2007 at 09:35 PM.