Thread: Trolling off cape morton

Trolling off cape morton

I'm just wondering if anyone has been putting in any time pulling lures of the cape for surface fish. I can't wait to have ago at those big wahoo off huttchies again.

Re: Trolling off cape morton

Spoke to a guy at the Scarborough Ramp on Sunday Arvo who trolled up 9 Mackos from the Cape Moreton area that morning. All schoolies caught on small Rapalas.

i think we need to wait a little longer yet before the hoo' show up.. good fun when they do tho

Why not chase the Blue Marlin on the shelf for the time being. Bit of action out there on the weekend by all reports. Listen in on VHF21.

i would love to smithy... but im in a tinney

giday 620st trolled there 2 weeks ago got 1 dolphin fish was thinking of heading out on weekend but weather looks a bit suss at this stage, i don`t think it will be long before wahoo turn up, water temp was a bit cool at 22.3 . lee

smithy, how would this spread sound, 620 on the short corner i think opimax has a 575 that can be long corner, craigie a 4.5 that can be short rigger my 4.4 can be long rigger and jeffos 4.1... well shotgun whats your rig 5.5? teaser perhaps

CHRIS_aka_GWH

hey rob,

at least there's less chance of running over "jellyfish" if you go to the shelf rather than Hutchies

chris

I like your thinking Rob.

Many times we have been the 18' long teaser behind the big boats heading in and out. #They really smooth out the seas especially this one. #Brilliant Company is 65' long. #Probably as wide across the transom as my boat is long. We followed her in one afternoon off the Gold Coast. #It made conditions like driving on asphalt and it was only doing about 18 knots which is just nice and comfortable for me. #Sometimes when we follow these buggers they are doing like 23+ knots and I am at full noise just to keep up. #Not sure what it is doing to our economy but it sure helps the back.

The shelf off the Cape isn't that far. #In February there was a good Striped Marlin bite in about 90-110m off the Cape. #The shelf dropoff shows up pretty well on your sounder. #No need to go to the Canyons or wherever. #Some blokes are fishing 14-18 mile off the Cape.

hey how come i have to be shot gun? ill jsut get eaten by all the little tuna... 14 mile of the cape sounds good to me though.. might have to look into my fuel range though

doesnt worry me chris, the prop can always do with a polish drooling over that boat smithy.. what i could do with one of those i think the point lookout shelf line has more promise for small boats by being an easier run if a westerly comes through.. but still, a mans got to know his limits

hey smithy... if you are ever heading out of mooloolaba and in need of a deckie ...