Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Crab Pot Bait

Re: Crab Pot Bait

Tailor in the brissy seems to be the go at the moment. Had a variety of baits lately including Mack tuna, pillies, mullet, gar, spanish frames,and tailor (cleaned out the chest freezer)and all crabs have come to the pot with tailor. Ben

Best - Fresh fish frams / heads / offcuts from Yeun's Asian grocer at market square - $3.00/kg - help yourself to best bits out of big containers...

Worst - cat fish - crabs didnt even touch it!

I've had good results recently with pilchards..... but mu best so far is roast chicken.

when we have roast chicken, i carve the bird and stuff all the bones and left over skin & stuff inside... bind it up with string.... thenstick a piece of wire thru it....into a ziplock baggie & into the freezer.

Last one I used......I had it in the pot for 4 hours.....got some good crabs off it..... back into the baggie & back into the freezer.....and used it again next time.

When they come out of the water.....ther is a real good roasty smell.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

All week people were not doing very well on muddies in baffle creek.. pretty much everyone dad spoke to was coming up empty handed.. Old mate use a couple of pilles and for 2 pots out for only a few hours each day (5 days) came out with 5 good sized bucks, twice as many big jennies and a handful of undersized randoms... All caught with 100m of flatrock.

Go to some joint that sells pre-made Chicken Roast Rolls and that sort of thing....
    In Brissy it's places like Pattons, Lenards, maybe even the local Butcher.......

Get the Chicken Frames...maybe $1 each if you're unlucky.

They're magic..............and work real well in Burley too....
    ..........................................for the days the Crabs are off.
    Don.
    "Magpie Navy." VHF 73.

It was a Woman who drove me to Drink......
    ....and I never gave her money for the Petrol......

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Save all those mongrel grinners you catch - they are second to none when it comes to crab bait!

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

.................. forgot to mention, mate of mine also uses old chicken frames in a small mesh bag and swears by them!

the t-bones ive been using for the crab pots (earlier post) have rotted away and have been replaced by raw, frozen chicken drumsticks from the local butcher...at $3 per kg they make a cheap bait, and are working well...

So what are the worst crab pot bait choices?

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    So what are the worst crab pot bait choices?
    G'day

Salmon frames.... and reef fish frames

Dave

I agree that chook frames are good and I score mine from Lenards for 20cents each. Old mate there always tries to sell me a crate of 30 for $6. I tell him I don't have the room for all of those and generally get ten for $2. I do believe however that they are not the best if crabbing for an extended period as they really start to smell rank after half a day and I believe this has an impact on catch rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigo View Post
    I can't say I have seen them at it, but I did see two of them smoking once when I pulled a pot up.
    my drink came out of my nose... roflmao.