Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crab Pot Bait

Re: Crab Pot Bait

There has been numerous baits used that will catch crabs but undoubtly the best bait to use would be fresh whole big summer whiting. They also are plenty of fun to catch and there is always plenty of them around to catch.

Recfisher

Ausfish Addict

fresh whole big summer whiting
    tell you what recfisher..you catch the whiting and I will swap you for some fresh mullett..i couldnt sacrifice a whiting for crab

Well i herd that all fish with big eyes are no good somthing to do with scaring the crabs and personaly ive never done much good with fish with big eyes.ummm well as ya said mullet use to be the best but ive done better on tailor,dog bones and tuna latley.im not to sure about sandies we only realy get muddies and when i do catch sandies i normaley just walk along and pick them up.
    Cheers and good luck Craig

Hi Craig,

You just walk along and pick Sandcrabs up ???
    You must be from a remote area of this world , especially if whole legal size Summer Whiting are used for Crab Bait ??

Or are you just 'Baiting' us ??

Cheers
    Craigie.

gruntahunter

Maybe he can walk on water.Hellalua.

In South Australia you can just go along with a rake and pick up Sandies (or as they call them .. Blue swimmers). They sell the rakes in the bait shops. There are also various secret places in Moreton Bay where you can simply go along and pick up Muddies (usually when they are mating with the Buck being on top).

Cheers
    Wayne

well i dont know about full size summer whiting i couldent do it but when i go to bribe island i walk along the beach [western side] just on/after dark with a light and pick em up no bull
    well cheers

Ausfish Addict

I can remember catching sandies in scoop nets at PT Halloran, but that was back when there was mangroves and no houses boy now i am showing my age

Wanye

When available neighbour's roster/hen,chop head off Drop into boiling pot (submerse fully) few seconds.
    Pluck feathers
    use with entrials in tack, works for sandies/muddies.

Next would be fresh fish frames, followed by Left over BBQ chook frames.

Cheers Lyndo

gruntahunter

Cmon Wayne you know there are no secrets in this site so spill the beans.
    The buck on top, thats a different way of mating.

The best baits so far for me has been, Solicitors, then CEO's, plasterers, that mongrel that still owes me $500 from 1979 and the woolie woofa cat that keeps sleeping in my boat.

Hey , I've seen the pro's up at Golden Cockrel Chicken place loading up their Ute's with chicken heads and feet. If it's good enough for the pro's..................
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

mackeral frames,chicken.if your pots are going to be in for a while tinned catfood, just punch a few holes in it

sharky

You cant go past chichen frames (skeleton left over after taking all the meat off), the are really cheap. I get them from my local butcher, 20 frames for $3. I put two frames in each muddy pot and one in a dilly, they have always produced the goods.

Cheers
    Sharky

had some good catches the past few days using out of date t-bone steaks!! we gave the freezer a clean out and at the bottom were some ancient t-bones. they survived a house move and all. we werent game to eat em, but the sandies sure like em.....!

We always use lumps of roo tail from the pet food stores. Can also find a bit of fresh road kill on the way to our usual crabbing spot that is usually happy to donate its tail. Have always done pretty well with the old roo.

Having read some of the other posts in this thread regarding chook frames, can't see why it wouldn't be a great bait also. We always chop up one of Mum's old roosters when at home for freshwater yabbie bait. Works by far the best of any baits we have used so far.

WalFish