Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crab Pot Bait

Re: Crab Pot Bait

I have caught a feed of crabs on shark they are crabs they eat anything.

Ausfish Addict

hey wayne here is one for you just spoke to my bro down bruns..they have been having a dismal season on the muddies...the last few days they have bought whole pigs heads from the butchers and they have produced the largest and most caught in 18 years ...

Thanks for the feedback for all those that posted a reply. I've got a few extra ideas now. Even though it seems crabs will eat anything it seems there may be preferences for different localities. I know the pros like chooks a lot probably because they last longer but mullet ( especially fresh) seems to be always reliable. I have also noticed that if you leave a jenny in the pot (say after a first lift) that it #would sometimes attract a Buck in for the next lift.
    Cheers
    Wayne #

There's a small, hairy yapping dog next door I'll let you have for nothing! I'm sure the crabs will like it, no one else does!

Ha ha ha I hear ya Katrina
    no i'll give that a miss specially if your neighbour is Jackie Chan! Nah I have just started brreding worms anyone know anything so far I have got them put them in soil that i dug them from and put them in a bucket with holes in it and put some shredded up leaves on top anything i haven't done that I should have or any tips?
    cheers jack

Hey, the lady is chinese, so who knows, maybe she's related. Maybe she's just as dangerous, I haven't tussled with her as yet!! Happy crabbing!

tubes

Roo meat is excellent done in a brine with a little Tuna oil added (unfortunately prawns love it too)...bit messy but the results are worthwhile.
    Volvo's Reef fish frames work well also....and he gets plenty of them..the king of the reef in these parts...

I've also tried Roo and found it to work as good as Mullet. The neighbour gave me a stack Roo Tails to try out. He said the dog wouldn't eat them, maybe the Crabs would.

That reminds me, I think I still owe him a couple of Crabs for his generosity !!!

Cheers
    Craigie.

> >ANY BARSTEAD WHO STEALS OTHER PEOPLES POTS!!.....
    RecFisho OR Pro
    > >

Failing that ..... > > ,reckon chook frames are simply cheaper nowadays than 'Mullet' ,and lets a few more swim around ,also leaving a small Jenny(pick a good-looking one ) seems to help......not sure why this is so #

Regards
    Gazza

Yeah, I'm convnced crabs arn't stupid. They like the good stuff to eat, fresh chicken , fresh fish etc , a bit like us humans. This explains a few things.

I am certain that leaving a jennie in works. Just check the next time you take a buck out of the pot which had jennies in it. I regularly find a buck on top having a bonk.

They must figure it out somehow .. my time is up soon... I'm heading for the boiling water.... so I may as well get one last shot away while she can't get away !

Cheers
    Wayne

I can't say I have seen them at it, but I did see two of them smoking once when I pulled a pot up.

Just make sure the Jenny is not too old. Grandmothers aren't appealling even for crabs

Cheers

the secert bait!!

Hi guys,
    I have crab for about 5 years every wekend i love it and i was reading over the other suggestions and like one guy i agree that mullet USED to be the best bait you could get but i used from mullet to dog bones to chicken bodyiesand even cat food but after it all i found that tailor is the best crab bait for my area and i think that is why there are so many differnt answers to the question i think every area is difernt.
    good luck Craig
    P.S i have heard that you never use fish with big eyes and it will sound funny but i have never done any good on fish with big eyes .

Big Eyes, drop em in a little beer batter as an entree(for yourself mindya) and then lay ye fishhead in the crabpot.
    Gives the ole crab a great false sense of security ey.

;) ;)Re: Crab Pot Bait

ive pretty much found if its dead and it stinks chuck it in

cats!!!!!!!!! lol i hate em