Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hinchinbook

Hinchinbook

Can anyone tell me where I can go in Brisbane to get a topographical map of the Hinchinbrook Channel and creeks system?.

Also any reports/hints on the fishing scene Hinchinbrook since the barra season opened would be great. Thanks guys.

Darryl Russell

Re: Hinchinbook

any of the good tackle sops should have maps showing depths.

Jack_Lives_Here

Darryl,
    Fished hinchy 4 years straight - some awesome action. Where you baseing yourself?? I've only really fished the southern 3/4 of the channel.

There is a book called fish finder i think and it is northern aussie based i think also. They have maps of offshore and land based spots. When are you planning on going up there?
    Tim

Give this site a bash, it has info on the book.
    Tim

http://www.fishingcairns.com.au/page10-1.html

Thanks for the info, we are travelling up there on 6th March for a week, staying at Lucinda and fishing from a Hornet Trophy. I have fished there briefly twice before but only for a day or so. Didn't have a lot of luck but didn't have any local knowledge. Hope to do better this time.

Darryl

cHiCo

Where are you coming from darryl?

watch out for the reports after the NQ M&G its 22 of feb or there abouts might help

Fish & Boat Magazine released a small booklet called "fishing the hinchinbrook wilderness" they're pretty hard to get now but if you find one there only $10 or so. Not a lot of topo maps (ok none) but some very useful mudmaps and fishing info.
    There's a camping chain store I think its called "Katmandu" that caters to trekkers we have one here in Townsville and they have the defence force style topo maps for $9 each maybe there's a similar store in Bris that may be able to get them for you.
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

keen_as_mustard

The book nonibbles is talking about is available thru the web from the publisher at :

http://www.seamedia.com.au/index.html

If you are leaving soon though it might be worth ringing them as I waited 4 weeks before picking it up myself. If you live on the Gold Coast they have them for sale on the counter at their office:

Office#3,#Level 2,
    Runaway#Bay#Marina
    245 Bayview St,
    Runaway#Bay Queensland#4216

Good Luck

Martin

The fishfinder book is also available from a lot of tackle shops and newagents as you travel north. Definatly worth having gives you gps marks and good maps of many areas from gladstone to the top of W.A.

Regards, Tony

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Do you mean something like this?

The map from Whiteman is exactly what I am looking for. Can you tell me where it is from and where I can get hold of it?. I got hold of the book Fish Finder and it is good but I would like a more detailed map of the creeks.

Mad_Barry

Try a Marine or Nav shop,

Ask for Admiralty chart, Aus 259 (Hinchinbrook Chanel).

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Easy to find the paper map up this way or find someone living near you with the marine charts on a cd - when combined with products like Capn Voyager, they are brilliant!