Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open Flat Rock back up and keep it open

Open Flat Rock back up and keep it open

Do tell me why the D.P.I has an email address that you can write to, questioning their theory behing the grey nurse sharks population and I stress the point "theory" because I would like to challenge the governments decision of this absolutly stupid idea.
    When they don't even have the guts to reply to any of my letters questioning my proof.
    Who knows how many grey nurse sharks are in the ocean and whats more, can they really count them?
    So if you want to give the department some encouragement to not go so bezerk on this issue write them a letter.
    greynurseshark@epa.qld.gov.au
    when they ignore the emails you write to them

Re: Open Flat Rock back up and keep it open

What is your theory on this ???

Guys i have spoken to lady who researched these sharks and she explained the reasons behind the closures and she made more sense in ten minutes then you will read in 10 pages of dribble. She agreed that the research should have been available before the closure occured. The research to back the closure up should be out at the time of writing this which will be quiet detailed. And Its only a matter of time before many more areas are closed. The research on different areas will be taken ASAP and decisions will be made to close other areas off.
    still i cant beleive there is a ban on trolling these areas but they do have research to back this up but its pretty poor reasoning
    Cheers Greg

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

I have done alot of diving in alot of area's of australia com/ and rec and flat rock when i bubbled my way around it there were more sharks than fish so i am sure they have some government reason like the pros are paying more to be able to troll thier area it all comes down to two things money and votes.

Sportfish_5

The government should have put in place the same restrictions that the NSW Gov put in place for the GNS areas under their care. I have no problem with protecting these sharks but this 1.2 km radius keeping everyone out is bullsh*t !

Look at this link and have a read. It makes sense and I think we all could have easily lived within these rules.

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/thr/...Grey_Nurse.pdf

Well here is the letter is sent to the Department:I'm sorry but I don't agree with the protection zones of Flat Rock and other protection zones at all.
    The Grey nurse population will not be damaged or interrupted by meare recreation fishermen and I would like more information and facts not statistics that back up the these allegations by the your department.
    I have been fishing this area for 20 years and managed to get a good feed there and so did the sharks on the odd occasions,
    so can you tell me as to why recreational fishermen should be the ones to be the brunt of this areas closure when, up until it's closure the sharks were still doing a great job of taking some fish that we seemed to be pulling up.
    It just doesn't make sense to me because the facts are that fish travel around from reef to reef hence the fact that some days you will catch fish and others you won't so if these sharks live in one particular area (which I find that hard to believe) and the fish don't arrive there at feeding time for the Carcharias taurusor when they need sustenance do you think they will just sit there and starve. Your research is based on an estimated value of 500 sharks left. Again how do you count the fish in the sea?(thats impossible)
    Please enlighten me on this subject as I feel the department is more concerned on catching revenue than reasonably sustaining the lifestyle of Carcharias taurus when it is merely based on an estimation or a guess.
    Eagerly Awaiting you reply!

How many kangaroos are in the country? Will they stand still long enough to count them ? They are best estimates of numbers...same as for the sharks..estimates but as the survival of the species is at risk then I am prepared to believe them. If they are wrong all well and good..there are plenty of the Grey Nurse Sharks...if they are correct..then the closures of areas is warranted. I am not prepared to risk the extinction of a species based on someone elses guesses. The DPI and CSIRO as well as the Marine Biology Depts. of Universities really do have some intelligent people who have more idea of what is happening than the average Joe Bloggs in the street but poor 'ol Joe will whine cos he cannot fish his favorite spot.

I don't care about the stinkin' kangaroos Pin head There is more of them now than when white fella first settled here . However, there is always plenty of fish out there at Flat Rock and if we aren't fishing for Grey Nurse sharks then they will survive no matter what.
    Flat Rock can't get fished daily due to the fact humans rely on weather conditions.
    And what's more this is just one dot on the map they are targeting mate how do they know that the GNS aren't out further and deeper where no diver can go.I still think these rules are made up by some vegitarian,tree huggin' hippy full of assumptions.
    But do tell me Pin Head how is the poor 'ol Joe going to impact on the GNS by collecting his few snapper at flat rock when there is an abundance of fish living there and they actually get a free feed from the fishermen.You realy don't understand mate have you ever been out there because I think you are guessing just like the DPI

I think I made my first trip to Flat Rock in about 1968 or 9..so yes..I have been there quite a lot. Yes..I am guessing and so is DPI and so are you..it is all based on estimates which my previous post stated..better to err on the side of safety than say..maybe it will be okay..let's not do anything then in say 10 or 20 years..no more sharks and say ..damn..we should have done something about that. Amazing how as soon as someone wants to protect some wildlife they all of a sudden become a tree huggin hippy. As for the poor ol' Joe..maybe you should make that plural...if only one there would not be a problem but there are a hell of a lot more than one fishing there. But hell..let's open it back up again...while we are at it..let's make dugongs and whales fair game for anyone also...could be fun chasing whales up the coast with harpoon at the ready.

Pinhead I think you've lost the plot on this one .....................no fisherman wants to catch the stinkin' sharks or harm them.
    Most of us just want to do some fishing and I feel it is totaly unwarrented that fishing for reef fish at that particular spot will harm any GNS and if anyone feels there is not enough fish in that particular spot to feed the sharks as well as humans .........I gotta say they either can't catch fish or they are trippin' because there is an abundance

From the DPI website: "The changes followed extensive consultation with the community through meetings and the release of a Regulatory Impact Statement." Why didn't you put forward your concerns back then. You keep referring to the sharks feeding..I think the bans are more in place at certain areas as these are well known habitats for these sharks and possibly breeding areas. The only way for the sharks to survive is to be left alone and to breed.

Extensive consultation - Yes the usual one month to fill in your RIS and get it back to them...Pinhead no one wants to see another species extinct, I just wouldn't be so quick to accept the reasoning behind the closures, or the nature of them.

Well, I'll be stuffed!! Is "science" an opinion, a guess or a fact based on hard statistical & researched evidence. I gotta run with the latter. There are NO hard scientific facts concerning GNS on QLD reef systems which support a trolling closure. That is, unless the people in NSW Fisheries are total d**kh%%ds. (See the previous link in an above post). If they aren't then Qld Fisheries are. Both can't be right with two different sets of rules based on conflicting scientific data.
    NSW have been studying GNS & their habitats for longer than I can remember. Qld have only hopped on the bandwagon since it sounded really green. So how many GNS are caught in Qld surf beach netting & drumline programs? I don't have this info but I am sure Qld DPI has.
    How can the 3 pro fishermen troll in the area without catching GNS or are they really lucky & don't need to worry about trolling one up? Or maybe GNS don't rise to trolled baits or lures? ??? ???
    So let's get real. This is a political decision based on voodoo science. Prove me wrong with some REAL data. Better still, sue me for defamation or libel. #
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Sportfish_5

Peterbro - You hit the nail on the head. A political decision to get the green support.
    Question is can it be changed in the future ? Probably not ! Will not be long before they close Hutchinsons and part of the shallow tempest area.

G’day

I will throw in my two bobs worth about the closures.
    I am totally against them, so all know where I stand on the issue.
    I have been associated with a fishing club. We fish the outside of Moreton
    With planned trips every two weeks.
    I have kept the fishing trip records for the club for several years and on no occasion has a member recorded, talked or joked about catching a grey nurse shark.
    Personally I have never caught a shark or brought one to the side of the boat.
    To all the members and friends I have spoken to, no sharks have been caught.
    So where is the danger from the fisherman?
    So, if they are worried about the sharks “breeding” why not impost a closure for a period of time like the tailor closure on Fraser island.
    There would be a greater respect from the fishermen towards the dpi management of the sharks
    It astounds me how they come up with a number for the sharks as they have survived for centuries.
    "whats the time"