Thread: Bleeding Fish

Captian_Zero

Bleeding Fish

G'day all

I have read that certain fish (e.g. tailor, dart) need to be bled upon capture.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks

CZ

Re: Bleeding Fish

just slice there throat....the blood should start to come out straight away.

cheers.............corza

I have found that if you slice around the back end of the gills with a knife they bleed better.
    Just follow the back of the gill shape with your knife.

I have also heard that a cut on the tail stem works very well too.
    If you cut their throats or break their necks the fish will die before it bleeds properly.
    For the record I bleed most fish.

Cheers,
    Rich.

for optimum flavour retention, bleed and spike ya fish !

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Captian_Zero

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have always kept the fish (mainly bream and whiting) I have caught alive in a bucket of water. I now know this is not the best method as I have heard that allowing the fish to die under stress effects the flavour however I was unsure how to correctly bleed them.

I did see a NZ program on Foxsports where they were spiking snapper in the brain and then bleeding them via a cut near the tail (into the backbone I think). Is this the method you were suggesting Phill?

Thanks

CZ

G'day People
    We always bleed the fish we catch by cutting around the the gill area .And put them in a ice and salt water mix,They taste much better when your ready to eat them.
    Regards Lou

on a chater i went on at coffs a couple of weeks ago the skipper bled the kingys we were catching in the gill area but didnt put them on ice until they had bled out about 10 to 15 mins

cheers gary

some fish i bleed by putting a finger in a gill opening and out the other side. i then put down to break the bit in between at the bottom of the fish. wouldn't do that if there were sharp gill rakes but (is that the right term).

Yea id bleed it before putting it in the ice box as well, shouldnt take 15 minutes though, a way ive found to bleed quiker is to cut there throat and put it upside down in a bucket of salt water and the blood rushes out very fast, shouldnt take more than 5 mins i dont think. make sure the water in the bucket is fresh out of the ocean so it doesnt have time to get hot.
    Tim

CHRIS_aka_GWH

when I drag a tailor up the beach I prefer to launch myself upon it, trapping it with my rear [s]paws[/s] errr feet & then rip its throat out with my teeth......
    but thats just me & I do tend to fish the full moon [smiley=evil3.gif]

seeyainthesurf

chris

aquarius

Sorta like a bearhug ay Chris...lol
    Cheers Brent

CHRIS_aka_GWH

brent,

a dramatic re-inactment of my technique.

whiting and tailor i just break their necks backwards, bleed and die very effectively at the same time. Dart you have to cut, hate that but is necessary - i also carry a lump of wood to bash dart and brim with rather than spike them, woosy probably but it works and i don't get spiked myself trying to spike them cause i don't want any fish i catch to bleed to death.