Thread: Where do you get bulk bait?

Where do you get bulk bait?

I have been doing a bit more fishing lately () and I find I spend quite a bit on bait. Where abouts in Brisbane do people get bait in bulk? Is it available?

I'm after prawns, pilchards, whitebait, and squid. Probably buy a few kilos at a time, if its more economical. Are there people who do this already?

Cheers

Re: Where do you get bulk bait?

Mate,

Not sure if they will do it (can't see why not thought), but go over to the Tweed Bait warehouse at Lytton. Look em up in the book and give em a call. Can't see why you wouldn't be allowed to buy bulk from em.

Ben

joeT

I but all my bait at Aussie Seafoods House, 3230 Old Cleveland Road , Capalaba. They have all this stuff fresh: whole bay squid $8.95 kilo, whole cuttlefish $4.95 kilo, mullet, bonito, etc,etc,etc. There is not much that they don't have. Can't beat that fresh bait.

They also sell frozen pillies in bulk.

Escapee

I don't know about bulk but somebody had given me a contact for fresh pillies in Brissy. The only problem is I live in Sydney

I am lucky enough to have a tuckerbox deep freeze dedicated to bait, fishframes and anything generally smelly, so have the same interest in bulk. Just picked up a 4kg box of Australian IQF for $23.95 from the tackle shop on the highway heading nort at Carseldine in Brisbane. Seems a reasonable price. Also picked up a 2kg bag of imported for $8.00. Got the imported only for cutting into thin pieces for berley and use the Aussie good stuff for bait.

They also had 15 kg boxes of IQF for $75.00

Tweed bait will supply you with all you needtry calling them on 07 5524 4466 I work for a plastic company in brissy and we use to supply them with the bait bags, so as they picked up the bags they would dro off the bait....to easy.

Just brought the 15kg box off IQF pillys for $75 its the way to go.

Hi I'm new to the chat room and new to fishing mud. Wondered what tide times are better at the northern end and day or night and any other clues I could get would be appreciated.
    Thanks Paul

bidkev

[quote author=joeT link=board=Saltwater;num=1081772402;start=0#0 date=04/12/04 at 20:19:39]I have been doing a bit more fishing lately #() and I find I spend quite a bit on bait. Where abouts in Brisbane do people get bait in bulk? Is it available?

Hi. Joe

>I'm after prawns,

Raptis fish market. $8.50 a kilo for "soft and broken" (the last lot were perfect) but they're IQF in boxes ranging from 12 to 16 kilo
    pilchards, whitebait, and squid. Probably buy a few kilos at a time, if its more economical. Are there people who do this already? Keep your eye on the free paper and that should notify you of the deals.

>Pilchards

Again, Raptis was knocking 'em out for $64 for 15 kilo

>WHitebait

Never been able to get a decent price on this. I stick to slivers of fresh herring.

>Squid

Try talking to trawler skippers. Most times, fresh squid is immediately frozen for resale in large blocks when sent to wholesale. I get mine straight offf the boat at $6 a kilo. I grab all I can, when I can, (the large stuff) as It's my preferred bait in the Bay. I never manage to get more than about 10 kilo at a time though, perhaps they just don't catch that many at that size?

Good luck

kev

Mate i have heard of a mob called bait direct http://www.baitdirect.com.au - not sure if they do bulk bait but it looks like they deliver and may be able to do a bulk price if you contact them

Spruiking in an old thread?

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    Spruiking in an old thread?
    We're going back, back in time.
    (Not just this thread either)
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to