Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

Re: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

me fightin that big mother!!!!

i see you had a fan group in the car park
    i dare say you would of needed more than just one of the JB cans after that fight!
    arsome fish there and congrats on going so well at your lbg fishing now we might need to get the pointer of you!

Well done mate nice fish, its a great size longtail, they rarely grow over 30kg!!!
    Where was that caught and what line class?
    i havnt been hitten the rocks for a while now been gettin some good kings around 20kg out of the boat
    Keep it up ya doing well!!!

cHiCo

looks like your carving up mate. didnt have a clue what the fish was until i saw the pic, you forgot to mention what it was in the report, unless i missed it. Anyway, keep em coming

Sean
    The way your going mate, its gunna be a race for rock fishing legend between you and set! Good to see you having such great success after such a short time at it. Your a fast learner. Great stuff, keep em coming champ!

Regards, Tony

Gorilla_in_Manila

Well done that Architect!
    You've got to be either the arsiest beginner ever made, or a bloody sly old hand.
    Geez that water has that fishy look to it.
    Are those rock hoppers you are wearing? Got a set a couple of years back, best thing I ever bought for rock fishing.
    Cheers
    jeff

Super fish mate!...
    Ive been reading this thread for the start its now a majic way to end it!...Well done!

I do alot of LBG on teh north coast & I can tell you that a 60lb Blue is 'rare as hens teeth'....a mate lost one the friday before after 2hours, so hopefully the big'ns are around to stay.

Its only the start of the season, so you should be into some good fish till Winter.....

Good luck & If I see your mug on the rocks I'll come & say g'day.

Just a Q. I've noticed that your onlt catching 1-2 slimies per session? Tomma is the #1 bait ground & you should be getting 10 in short time. What/how are you jigging?

Cheers & once again well done!

Rodney

HI GUYS!

Icaught the longtail on 15kg gear, TLD 25 and the m10 live fibre rod, she's got some bend in her, awesome rod though.
    i never take alcohol to the rocks, just incase i fall in the water and forget how to swim or something...LOL
    those rock hoppers have lost the metal spikes so it's really slippy now but yeah, it was awesome shoes when it lasted

we usually catch 3-6 slimy's per jig but they seem to only show up at certain times, so when they are around we load up!!!!

i want the magic 4FISH over 20kg's

JEW-------------22KG
    LONGTAIL TUNA--28KG
    COBIA
    KING FISH

so im targeting king and cobe to complete the fairy tail????????

catch you all later

Saen,

That is a mighty bluefin to take off the stones. I did something similar to that a few seasons back with a slightly smaller 22kg fish. A big first one is always a good way to go but remember it will always be hard to beat it now. Everything will seem so much smaller.
    Just so you know I'm a Newie local and fish Tomaree pretty regularly. Will be there this weekend so if I run into you I'll come over and say hi. Just remember though that forums like this really let the cat out of the bag and if you want the ledge to yourself it's best not to mention your spot too loosely. Still once the word gets out the ledge gets packed pretty quick anyway.
    If you want that cobe I suggest you head a little further north. There are some places only a few hundred k's up the coast that have regular cobe encounters. As for the king. South is the go. Not too far though. You'll miss the best places if you do. JB is a good place to look but between us and Syd are some great king ledges that harbour some BIG kingies.

Keep up the good work and I'll be racing you to the first 5 for the season bluefin wise

Cheers
    Stephan

hey Stephan

although its pretty obvious, i didnt actually mention anythin about tomaree head,
    and besides if it wasnt for these guys i would never have caught that fish
    they help me out on fishing spots so its only fair for me to tel them about my spots???

it has been pretty busy on that ledge lately, we had 30 people on the rocks on thursday and whole weekend was busy aswell, so its not really a secret, especially after that movie they made

so come say hi if ya see my mug on the rocks

cheers

JJ

Saen,

Mate wasn't really having a go at you abou the naming of ledges. The one thing you will find though is that we LBG boys are getting much like Jewie fisho's as the numbers on the ledges are getting more prevalent as Thrusday proved to you. You are right though Tomaree is a very very popular spot so naming it isn't all that bad. Just keep quiet if you hit a honey hole that no one else has walked in to before cause I can guarantee that everyone will go once you tell the story.

Was out there on Sunday. Got a few bonnies and tailor on spin (the buggers kept stealing my livies!) and got one good run from what I'm guessing as a cobe. Ran hard and deep and did me over after about 5 minutes. No tuna that one. Speaking of they were a little quiet, infact non existant sunday to my disappointment. This weekend should prove better though as the water clears up.

Have been reading through most of the posts in this thread and while some of it is very good advice there are many things said that will only serve to confuse you. LBG is simple and doesn't need complicated rigs as some might like to think, especially when it comes to bluefin off tomaree. As it is a bait ground you can spin or jig up slimies all day there when they're about. So really you don't need to keep them alive in bait pools and stuff like that. Just serves to add weight to your already heavy pack. Tomaree also has plenty of rock pools that can support livies well enough for the day. Just have a small container to get fresh water with and keep topping it up. Yes some of the pools are worse than a pub toilet but a little fresh water and you're sorted.

As for rigs and hook sizes for bluefin a 7/0 is best and will pin any decent fish that comes your way. The pilchard sized slimies tomaree is supplying at the moment have no trouble with a hook that size and they will grow over the next month too. Pin them above the lateral line between the back of the head and the dorsal fin and they will last until a big fish finds them. Ensure you tie a bimini double in your line about 7ft long on average, I tend to use about 10-12ft of 60-80lb leader due to the height of the ledge, also the tuna look for stray baitfish that sit away from the school so this depth is good for that. Puts you in the cobe zone too. Join the double to the leader via a ducknose knot. Very simple wrap the double around the leader 5 times and then take the tag end of the leader back over itself for one full turn and then pass it through the double loop, tighten and viola. Much better than an albright. I tend to use balloons with my rigs and tie a short length of 2-3kg on the leader, pops off easy when the fish takes it, and there you have a fully useable wind on rig. No swivels or floats to restrict your rig.

Hope all that helps you. Sorry this has been long but I am in a chatty mood tonight and always like to help. If you are keen to meet up on Tomaree I'm there again this weekend weather permitting. Let me know if you want to hook up!

Cheers
    Stephan

Saen,

Just to break it all up. Something you need to know about the HAT. Yes it's a good ledge but don't expect much unless there is current running south and don't bother trying to livebait off there. If the current is running you'll be around the point in no time. It really is a spin only ledge but because of a video and numerous write ups in mags over the years people have misconceptions. That said if you go to the south about 2k's you'll find hungry head and there you can livebait till the cows come home. Good cobe spot that one!

Cheers
    Stephan

Stephan,

i wasnt having a go at you
    thanks for all the advice mate, yeah the slimys are a bit small now you should have seen them a couple of weeks ago, they were huge!
    i suspect a couple of people has had cobe runs, me included- but they seem like really big fish, pretty much unstopable on 30lb gear anyway
    thats why i bought some 50lb braid to put a stopper to one of thoses trains
    next time you catch a bonnie chuck him on a hook, ours got nailed 5m from the ledge
    its a very different fishing scene compared to last year isnt it? its so much more exciting, you never know what you are going to hook?????

well i gotto get back to work,so i'll see you on the ledge this weekend, we'll be there sat and sunday unless we go up north

Hey, stephan (its rodd) good luck on the w/e...The choppers were into our baits like nothing last w/e too (up north).
    2min tops before they were chopped...DRAIN!

Anyway, this season is slooooow to kick off. I hope it gets going soon.

Might see ya on the ledge.....

[smiley=devil.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]
    I LIVE IN COFFS AND I'VE WORK ON A
    LONGLINER AND PRAWN BOATS FOR OVER
    4yrs if you know of any jobs going in n.s.w
    can you pleare let me know thanks
    SNOOPY [smiley=happy2.gif]
    PLEASE WRITE TO ME AT Dougie_B_20@hotmail.com