Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

Re: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

pm = personal message

wybung head (think the spelling is right) is south of cathrine hill bay in the lake munmora state rec park.

where in the newcastle area are you and i might have some other suggestions.

they catch yellowtail there and use them for kingies

nice,
    ive cought some nice kingy's at cathrinehill of the rocks but using frozen squid-
    ive tried using yellowtail but nothing wants to take it
    i live in maitland, so i would be driving through swansea to get to the catho area, or maybe the new england highway?
    i would do anything to get there though!!!!
    i have caught some slimy's at catho but they die so quick on the hook, so i dont know if im hooking them wrong or something?

cheers saen

make sure you pin the live bait above the spine /latrail line
    before the dorsil fin another way we do it when live baiting from boats is to pin them through the mouth but not sure how this would affect the live baits swimming from the rocks

THANX BESSERMAN

BUT THAT IS WHAT IVE BEEN DOING, THE SLIMYS AROUND HERE ONLY GROW TO ABOUT PILCHARD SIZE, SOMETIMES I GET A LITTLE MONSTER
    SO ANY HOOK IN THE SMALLER ONES KILLS THEM QUICKLY
    SOMEONE TOLD ME TO USE AN ELASTIC BAND-SOMEHOW TO PUT THE ELASTIC THROUGH ITS BODY SOMEWHERE AND THEN ATTACTH THE HOOK TO THE ELASTIC
    SO IF ANYONE KNOW HOW THIS WORK PLEASE TELL ME

CHEERS SAEN

To let the smaller bait survive for longer, try to hook it closer to the tail and use a smaller hook. Im not sure why but this works for me when im fishing with small livies.
    Tim

HEY TIM

IM NOT SURE ABOUT THE SIZE OF THE HOOK BUT THERE IS SOME BIG FISH IN THIS AREA, SO I WOULDNT WANT TO USE A SMALLER HOOK AND THEN THE FISH BENDS IT OR SOMETHING?
    I WILL TRY IT THOUGH
    THANX

CHEERS

i can now see the problem
    a slimie that size would be hard to pin anywhere
    like time i would try around the tail somewhere
    or UMM not much room on a fish that size

It sounds to me that you are quite new to the LBG game. The easiest and quickest way to learn is to watch someone who does it well. Talk to people in your local tackle shop and find out who the local experts are. Or find a fishing club in your area which does that kind of fishing and join up.

There are heaps of books and videos which feature LBG. Get a hold of these. Even some of the bluewater game books and videos should be able to help you with techniques such as tying a double and wind on leader, rigging baits, catching and keeping live bait alive etc etc.

Good luck with it all. By the way, WRITING IN UPPER CASE IS THE WRITTEN EQUIVALENT OF SHOUTING. There is no need.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

JEREMY,

sorry bout upper case- i work as a architectural draftsperson/designer and its always on uppercase for the font and style we use-
    i have been fishing lbg for 5 years now, but i had to teach myself and pick up little tips from ppl and books etc.....
    i dont know any people who catches tuna, sharks, kingy's of the rocks-so i cant really ask anyone
    thats why im on this chatboard-because the info so far has been great, i cant wait to go out again and try some of these techniques
    i can keep yakka's alive for hours but it's just slimy's i have the problem with?
    and im just looking for new lbg techniques or secrets that i dont know about already

cheers
    saen

saen just keep asking away most of us will help you as much as we can
    re places to pin the bait is it worth a try to pin it through the upper lip between the eyes shouldn't hurt the fish as long as not done to far back into the brain
    can't really think of other places all our live baiting is done with bigger fish but i'm sure there is a place to pin them

Yea sean the size of the hook shouldnt matter too much, just get really strong thick small hooks. You may have a little bit more trouble hooking the bigger fish but atleast you can use live bait. My mate that i fish with at the wiers uses small hooks not much bigger than a bait jig to hook up little banded grunter for live bait. They are around the 5-12cm mark long and hes landed barra close to a metre with these little hooks so they do work. Also if you are fishing snaggy water i find hooking your live bait near the tail keeps them swimming near or on the surface.

Tim

AWESOME GUYS

I PROBABLY HAVE ENOUGH TECHNQUES TO TRY FOR A MONTH NOW
    I HAVE TO SAY THAT THIS CHAT ROOM MIGHT BE A BAD THING FOR ME!
    because im at work and every ten minutes im cruising ausfish-reading articles and stuff-im not getting any work done! it's probably the next best thing to fishing
    if only i knew about this site years ago-fishing would have been so much better i reckon?
    AUSFISH is my new BIBLE!

happy fishing every1
    saen

oh!
    another question? can live bait still swim out under a baloon if they are hooked through the nose?

cheers

Saen
    Mate try pinning your livies just under the first fin up from the tail.
    If ya hook em thru the lip at the front, the tend to sit more quietly into the current, if ya pin em down near the tail they are more prone to stay actively swimming, this atracts more hits.
    Agood live bait hook is the mustad big guns in about a 5/0.
    If your baits are really small just down size your hook. I prefer to use bigger baits. The yellowtail will work for you on most pelagic species, ya just need to be in the right spot at the right time. We catch nearly all species on them. BIG baits = BIG fish(usually)

Regards, Tony

where are you getting these slimmies from?

the ones i was catching last year at this time where 15cm to 20cm long. thats as big as the yellowtail i'm using now.