Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

HI EVERY ONE

IM A MAD KEEN ROCK FISHERMAN IN NSW-
    I LOVE CHASING BIG FISH, BUT NOT MUCH LUCK
    WHERE COULD I GET YELLOWFIN, COBIA......
    BIG FISH LIVE BAITIN'
    ANY SPECIAL METHODS? WEATHER? AREA?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

REGARDS
    JJ

cHiCo

Re: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

have a chat to setthehook hes a mad keen rock fisho.

Saen
    Where are you based?
    How far are you willing to travel?

Regards, Tony

I LIVE IN NEWCASTLE- MAYBE 2 HOURS EITHER NORTH OR SOUTH
    BUT IF IM ASSURED THAT THERE ARE BIG FISH I WOULD TAKE A COUPLE OF DAYS OFF WORK AND GO FISHIN'
    THANKS FOR REPLYING

Probably too far for ya up this way!
    Someone closer to your location should be able to help though.

Regards, Tony

WHERE ARE YOU FROM?
    IM THINKING ABOUT SOUTH WEST ROCKS MABE
    OR JERVIS BAY?

Hes from the famous town of 1770, agnes waters, near bunderberg i think.. If you could make it id suggest you go there for some good rock fishing. Have a look in the salt water photo's section and look for tony's posts of some of the fish caught off the cat walk. Very nice, ill be down there sometime this year myself, meant to go a couple weeks ago on the way to brissy but i flew and didnt drive.

one place i could recomend is HAT HEAD it is a small town that is next to south west rocks
    it has alot to offer and is thought to be that LBG fishing mecca on the mid north coast
    it has a list of fish that reads like a game boats wish list to it's name
    Marlin (small blacks and strippies)
    tuna (manily macks but longtail, bigger bulefin and yello fins are also encounted)
    shark (only about 2 mounths ago a 95kg hammerhead was landed there)
    mackrals (spanish and spotties)
    jewies
    cobias get a few around here best bet is balloning but ask setthehook
    kingys (as with the area thay are always around)
    and all your normal rock fishing specices (talor, bream, blackfish, drummer ,ect.)
    the only thing is that the rock platfomes are not the easyest to get to and a bit of climbing is needed it can also be very dangours there in rough seas and not a place to be fished alone (no rock fishing should be done alone)
    other areas to try are
    south west rocks
    point plomber (near port macquarie)
    port macquarie (gods playground )

another area i have heard about but know very little about is terigal (near newcastle) i have heard it holds some nice tuna at times but that is all i know about it
    if you need advice on LBG fishing it would be best to ask setthehook he is a expert at LBG just check his pics in the slatwater fishing pictures section
    well i hope this helps
    cheers #8) 8)

Gorilla_in_Manila

Saen,
    If you are looking for tuna and cobes off the rocks, I think you will be needing a spot where baitballs come within casting distance. I've fished around northern NSW rocks a fair bit and it is pretty rare to find the baitballs coming within casting distance. They seem to sit out about 400 or 500m and all the Jedi Mind Tricks in the world don't seem to make them come in closer.
    However I do remember reading a couple of magazine articles where someone had managed a good LBGF session. I think one was Sydney North Head somewhere and the other was at South West Rocks on the midnorthcoast (if my dodgy memory serves me correct).
    The only place I have fished and seen baitballs come in regularly was at Indian Head and Waddy point on Fraser Island and that was around October. Actually hooked 2 cobes there and got them to the rocks, but wasn't able to land them coz I didn't have a gaff and hadn't tied my leader long enough to grab safely. (Took a gaff the next year and of course, they were nowhere to be seen )
    Short of trying to learn the dark art of kite fishing, I'm going to have a go at floating a bait under a balloon if I can find a spot where an offshore breeze will blow it out far enough and I can get it past the likes of tailor around the rocks. Don't know if this might work for you off some of your known spots around Newcastle, but might be worth a try.
    Otherwise, hope someone from down you way can help you out.
    Good luck, and let us know how you go.
    Cheers
    Jeff

THANK YOU ALL GUYS! THE INFO IS AWESOME
    IS THEIR SPECIAL DAYS THAT YOU HAVE TO GO-MEANING WEATHER
    IS THERE SOMETING OTHER PEOPLE KNOW THAT I DONT KNOW ABOUT LBG

HAPPY FISING

Saen
    All areas are different and local knowledge is about the only thing that will give you the answers you are looking for. As an example up here we get different species at different times of year. At the moment we have a heap of fresh water cming out of the estuaries, and our favorite rock ledge is very close to the mouth of the estuary. This makes for fairly dirty water which the spanish mackeral dont like. In these sort of times the spanish move out to the edge of the dirty water line or further and are generally not available off the rocks. On the other hand fish like gts, golden trevally and school macks dont seem to mind the dirty water as much and it is still quite possible to catch them.
    Time of year when the pelagics are around is another factor, we seem to have our best times in about oct-nov when nearly all the sort after species are around. It all varies from place to place and species to species. What you need to do is decide where you are going to fish then seek local knowledge from that particular area. Its definatly one of my favorite types of fishing
    as you can never be sure just what you are going to hook on any given day, and when you do they are usually one hell of a challenge from the rocks. Awsome fun!

Regards, Tony

COOL
    DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LBG IN THE NEWCASTLE AREA, ESPECIAL NELSONS BAY?

Why dont you try terrigal like basser said? It shouldnt be too far eh. Ive never fished there but spent some time there and the fishing looked like it could have been a goer off the rocks at the headland with the look out.
    Tim

try wybung head.

the only problem is it can be a bit dangerous and some people leave alot of rubbish there.

pm me if you don't know where it is.

pm?
    where is wybung head?
    what live bait do you use?- what do they catch?