Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

harryhoy

Re: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

Saen
    Tomaree headland is THE best LBG spot for longtails in Australia. My advice is to get hold of Phil Atkinsons excellent videos - the first one of the set details some of the methods for catching gamefish off the rocks, particularly at Tomaree. Go out and watch the guys that fish there regularly and you'll pick up heaps of info on what you need to do such as rigs, gear, etc. There's also excellent longtail fishing at Coffs Harbour. Green Cape isn't what it used to be. 20 years ago you could expect to go there and catch yellowfin but those days are gone. If I were you, I'd be heading north and not south - not only are you going to get more chances of catching a decent fish, the platforms aren't quite as crowded to your north.
    One more thing - after you have caught one or two longies, think about letting the rest go - they're too good to be caught just once.
    Good luck.

HEY GUYS!
    how are you all going? hope you all went fishing
    well i finally went to tomaree head for the first time this year to see if the yellowfin have arrived, they havent, and to see if we could hook up to a cobia- didnt happen
    there was so many modo fish- the yellow with black stripes fish-only caught one yakka all day- couldnt get pass the squire and modo fish
    i think the weather might have been to nice for any big fish to come in close to the rocks,
    i will be going LBG fishing at tomaree once a week for the next fin season
    so i will keep you guys updated on the fishin
    and i'll definatyely let you know when iv'e caught my first Y'fin

have a good one!

hey guys

hope you all are well, well i finally landed my first fish off the rocks with a 15ft trace under a small blown up balloon, with a 5/0 live bait hook and 15kg line
    it took me 30mins and almost fell in the drink trying to gaff it
    so all the advise i got from you guys actually payed off!
    althouh it wasnt what i was targeting it was a great experience off the rocks, and jew has a huge first run
    so here's a pic

Gorilla_in_Manila

Well done. Good to see a plan come together.
    Nice jewie. No wonder you're ginning.
    What livie were you using? better tell us the full story of where you got it and keeping it in good nick down at the rocks, etc etc.
    Cheers
    Jeff

hey

well i caught it at stockton breakwall (newcastle)
    i caught 2 slimy's and a couple of big yakkas, but the slimy's died pretty quickly because i only had a bucket filled with water,
    i was targetting kingfish, but i knew than a jewie were always going to come first
    we just had that storm at newie which produced 3m swells- so it was pretty dangerous to fish, but i reckon bigger fish come in closer and arent so scared of taking your bait
    well after catching my livey's i went to the point of the breakwall and chucked in my yakka, just before dark (probably the biggest yakka i have ever seen) but the swell pushed my balloon into the rocks and popped it, so i had to reel it back in and chuck it back out again with a new balloon and the yakka swam out pretty quickly,
    i let the rip take it out about 50m or so and left it there
    im always holding my rod in my hands because you might miss that big one, and i dont wanna miss the monster,
    i could feel the yakka move a bit and told my mate something might be stessing him out and he started with a slow run, then going faster
    when the jewie slowed down i hooked it, and my reel came to life, taking off at 100km/h- i thought i was gonna get spooled but he slowed down and it was my turn to get some line back
    when i got it up close he took another run around the breakwall and around a couple of rocks and my line got caught on the rocks, magically it came loose with a big wave,
    my mate jumped down the rocksand gaffed it after a few go's.
    then i had to carry her for about 800m back to my car, and im still feeling the pain in my arms
    so thats the story and everyone lived happily ever after

but those big kingy's are still out there- suppose it's just going to take time and effort before i get one
    well i hope that is a good enough explanation of what happened

catch you all later

mate thats a lovely jew. i fished last night in the harbour (sat) with no luck. i think the fresh has pushed them out to where you were. well done. i have been chasing jew for several months now and still haven't caught one. even bought a boat to try and help :-)

hey ba

theres heaps of jewies around the breakwalls at the moment, and most people are using squid, but they dont catch much
    try using yakka's, the one i used were huge but i find i get more hits when i use smaller one's
    next time you go fishing in the harbour, try the smaller breakwall next to stockton breakwall and fish on the harbour side, only about 50m or so from the rocks
    use a sinker to get the yakka on the floorwith a 1m trace of 30kf trace and the about a 5/0 hook
    and i reckon run out tides are best for that area, just before the sun go's down
    sometimes i just cast in and before the yakka hit the ground a jewie grabs it and go's for a run
    theres heaps there, you just have to be there at the right time

i hope you catch one soon

Gday Saen
    Good one bro!
    The first one is the hardest, after that it all falls into place.
    Top fish
    Regards, Tony

pharq2

G'Day if you live in newcastle you dont have to travel far at all tomaree head at nelson bay is a hotspot for cobia and bluefin a bit futher up at forster you have cape hawke and charlottes headland also for blues and cobes also seal rocks for kings to the south of newie you have catherine hill bay and wybung head which is good for kings

HI GUYS!

caught another one, probably 9kg
    fought hard for a little one
    fell to a yakka on high tide-full moon

starting to look we gave ya tooo much info! >
    Well done mate!

Regards, Tony

Doin Well mate, I hear a few bluefin on the bite up your way somewhere so keep ya ears to the ground!!! Nice jews mate, i wanted to ge get a few this moon but i had 3 wisdoms taken out of my gob and a bit saw to go sit in the cold night. So ill get my revenge next moon

HI ALL,

Me & a mate is going up north to charloute head? to chase some bluefin/cobes & kings
    has anyone fished there before?
    does anyone have any reports on that part of the area?
    & does anyone know where the bluefin are at the moment?

JEWFISH
    jewy fishing is so much easier than LBG of the rocks, i can usually pridict within a 30min period that i would catch a jew
    it's just predicting when the big one would come past?
    my dad caught a 27kg Jew at 3:00pm in the arvo, but it's pretty much always on high tide.

hey set,
    hows things going
    did you end up going north?
    what have you been catching?

HI Saen
    # #Went to iluka and the weahter killed my trip so i came home early.Caught some tailor over a kilo on fly that was it
    Fished jervis bay with my mate and we snagged a big garfish!!! (see pic)
    Check out this link mate i find it handy, save it and check it every week.
    http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/rep...nswreport.html
    Seems the blues were around tomaree.
    On the subject of jews, yes they are easy to get, last year i got bored gettin em and started gettin em on lures, got a nice jew on a deep diver meant for salmon!!
    Personally i think jews suck when it comes to the fight, one or 2 at the most runs and usually along the breakwall the sneaky buggas. Got a 11 kg jew last year on 3 kg line and was still disapointed, mate u gotta go crack some epoxy on some good hoodlum kings, they will sort ya out!!!
    All the best mate.
    Set

Set,

when did you catch that baby?

where did you hear, that theres bluefin at tomaree?
    i went there last weekend, but i only got yakka's, no slimy's
    i havent heard anything of any bluefin around the rocks, they are all offshore

And about the hoodlum Kings?
    i cant find any big one's, and aparently tomaree is not know for Kings,
    iv'e only caught rats around 5kg on squid
    but im not going to stop trying until i get the 20kg+ hoodlum
    and fishing for them i might run into a cobe or shark, so it's all good fun!!!!

Jew
    i have to agree jew fish should fight harder, im getting bored aswell- its not really a fight for a fish of that size
    the 22kg one did rip some line of though- but they give up after the first run with a few tail kicks every now and again

I've caught a couple of big slimy's at the breakwall,so i send them out under a float but i cant get past the tailor- it's a bit annoying

i just bought a live fibre rod, yet to catch a fish on it though,
    but she's a beauty

so anyway, i'll let you know if i have any success