Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

Re: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

yeah i know about the braid now!
    it was good stuff on the rocks though, its just being cut off and loosing about $170 thats stuffs ya!
    im buying either berkley or tortue tonight

we where getting the slimy's when they came in closer but it was a bit hard
    late in the arvo we seemed to get heaps
    heaps of bonnies aroun

i'll be there on saturday-screw the bluefin i want a cobe

have a good one

Rob,

i tried sending you pics today but it kept coming back with an error
    i tried smaller sized pics and even Zipped it, so im not sure whats going on
    i'll see if i can post em' on your site in one of the threads if you'd like???

LOL.... this is a LBG chat room, all the advice you will ever need is right here with the help of everyone
    in 6months time you could print this whole thread and publish a book....LOL
    and make heaps of money and retire early and go fishing everyday with nice gear on a big boat.....
    NAHHHH... im getting out of hand now-keep dreamin'

Regards

JJ

Bugger the Bluefin? Mate are you for real? Sure getting a cobe is one of my dreams too as I'm sure I got done over the other week but hell you can't disregard bluefin at this time of year. They are the lifeblood of LBG in this area at the moment.

I'm still finding it a little hard to fathom how you can say that braid is still good off the stones. Each to their own I guess but good to see you are going mono now. I'm using 15kg berkeley triline and it's done well for me so far. Most guys I talk LBG with don't rate it but it held my 20kg bluefin easily. Tortue is a good line too. Very tough but not a great casting line. Platypus pre test is good for livieing too but not great casting wise. I am using it at the moment on my 6kg gear but much prefer pink for casting. About to get some of Harro's lure line off him too to try out. That and his knotted dogs. Can't help but swear by those things!

Might see you on Saturday. I have a mate coming from Dubbo who wants to give the stones a go.

Cheers
    Stephan

Saen how big are the pics you are trying to send? Try again if it dont work try this email.
    rmbarrett@kooee.com.au
    see how that goes.
    Im a trilene fan and it has helped me with some aust records, But the tortue and me dont get on, stupid little turtle!!!! its too heavy for my liking, tends to sink when you have a wide drift, but i am talking about 15kg and 24 kg tortue, the thinner lighter classes as stephan said arent too good for casting. For spinning find ya self some nice pink german line.

stephan,
    dont get me wrong, the bluefin i caught put up an awesome fight and i would change that they for the world, but
    a cobia would be an awesome fish to have behind your name
    i think i just want to catch a bit of everything
    yellowfin would be very nice and a nice hoodlum king

so whn i get down to tomaree its live baitin with bonnies, but if i cant get em' its a slimy in the water for a bluey

Set,

i'll take your advice into consideration
    and i'll try sending those pics again today

Regards

JJ

Good luck on the w/e boys.....i hit it during easter for a couple of macs only. All the good bait is around, but nothing but macs & bonnies are into them.

Hey saen, ive caught a couple of decent cobes & I dont really rate them. I got 1 a couple of months back that went 15kg & it was on the gaff within 5min. Another i got on 6kg string was the same. ?????????
    If ya want a true hard fight try for big kings and even blues on 6-8kg line.....forget the 15kg stuff.
    Sharks are fun when they are around too........I wouldnt give up on the tuna yet tho.

Rod,

What day's were you at the ledge? Also where did you find the cobes this year? I take it it was up at the usual spot you boys get all your good fish.

How thick were the mack when you went there. Would be interested to know if they would be a spin option or livie only. I'll be giving them a shot tomorrow in either case just to see what I can come up with. Have only ever had one follow at toma by a mack and that was a few seasons ago.

Cheers
    Stephan

Ok time for an update.

Hit the ledge today with a mate from out west (his first time LBG'ing). Plenty of bonnies to be had especially around the turn of the tide. Most were very small and therefore ideal livies for anything other than bluefin. Sent a couple and out and over the course of the morning 2 were seriously mouthed. I had one stay pinned for a minute or two but then it spat the hapless bonnie back at me. Lesson learned.....when using big baits let the fish run longer.

Also had a very decent couple of second hookup to a reasonable tuna on 6kg but the slightly increased drag pressure resulted in pulled hooks....bugger!

So all in all there is action to be had there but you have to be there at the right time. Not really the norm at this time of year.

Oh something else to note could not for the life of me get a slimie or yakka at the ledge. All we could send out as livies were the bonnies.

Saen how'd you go?

Cheers
    Stephan

P.S. had the ledge to ourselves up until we left at lunch time. Had I stayed all day I'm sure there'd have been a decent hookup.

hi

yeah we went all day saturday at tomaree and there was only 4 of us all day
    we got huge slimys all day and the bait schools came right in close and there was huge schools of them
    i got a medium bonnie early in the mornin so i put her on the hook but nothing touched her, later that morning a couple of dolphins came through and one of them must have jumped and jumped ontop of my line and for about 3 seconds i lost 50m of line

the guy one the point hooked up to a 15-20kg bluefin, i was the gaff man but he just couldnt get it close enough for me to gaff it and his leader just snapped with the bluefin 3m away-badluck
    my mate caught a nice mac and had a 10min battle with a possible shark-he used a bonnie
    thats all we got apart from the salmon

but we did see some tuna carving up the schools right in close, the bait ball came within 20m of the stones
    i reckon too that you have too be there at the right time
    they are pretty thin but they are there-its called patience and perseverance

i'll be making another long weekend fishin at toma this weekend

cheers

JJ

Saen,

Why can't the bastards play when I'm there??? The big slimies especially!

Good to hear there are still a few blues hanging about. My mate spotted a 5ft long fish in the water between the two hits I had and picked it for a cobe. Still, I want a bluefin this year cause I missed the buggers last year.

If you're going to hit the stones over the weekend we should look to meet up. What days are you hitting the ledge? I usually do sunday's at the moment but I've got a feeling all the blues have been converted to christianity and don't come out that day. Cobes don't seem to mind though.

Let me know if you're keen.

Cheers
    Stephan

Went for a LBG fishn trip finally yesterday.
    Went to the Tubes. Weather was perfect and i had the place to myself!!!
    I spun up a salmon about 3kg and a heap of small bonito.
    I also caught 3 legal kingfish (all released)
    And 2 hammerhead sharks around 25kg to 30kg, one on 10kg line and the other on 15kg line.(Both Released)
    Had some stud slimies in my pool with the biggest nearly a kilo!! #Sharks loved em lol
    Other than that i saw a whale pop up right at my feet and a big sea snake. Had a top day.
    Hey Saen Wheres my photos???? Ill keep pestering u till i get em lol. Hey i hear you left ya gear all over the rocks when ya carried that big tuna out of T.Lucky no one pinched ya gear !!

Set,

been too busy with work to send them pics
    who told you that i left my gear on the rocks?

cHiCo

Good work set. Seems like ya carving up again off the rocks.You wouldnt live at the entrance in nsw would you????

Is this the longest thread ever?

nope i think Cheap tld 20 for sale is still the longest