Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

Re: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

isnt longliners depleting fish stocks?

Saen,

Going out sunday at this stage. Looking at houses to buy on Saturday. Didn't think you were having a go mate, I was just being sure to explain where I was coming from.

It comes as no surprise that there are cobes about. They've been picking them up all over the place since about december and considering they were absent last year they were due to turn up again. 50lb braid might help you but it really isn't the best thing to be using off the stones. You'll find out why the minute it touches rock!

Hope to see you out there. Will show you how I put my rigs together if you would like.

Cheers
    Stephan

Rodd,

Mate it would be good to meet up on the ledge. You are right the season is slow to start. I suspect the odd cobe has been around the ledge since jan but no one would have been seriously fishing for them. Blokes have really only been going out there in the last month. I was out there 6 weeks ago and it was dead both fish and fisho wise. Wasn't until the local rag showed pics of tuna that the hoardes showed their heads.

Looking to get up north some time this season. There's a well known ledge you boys clean up on all the time that I have to get off for the first time. It presents itself as the best chance for a blue on 6kg spin. Surprised it's bonnies and tailor stealing baits this year and not mack tuna. Personally I think they're all down south at the moment. The dirty water up this way would have seen them chase the hot water closer down south syd gong way. I know where some spotties are holding up too a little closer to you boys. Word has it they're off the local breakwall too. Pity I work 8-6 5 days a week now!

Cheers
    Stephan

That bloody red weed has shown up up Nth...id check before having a go. It was bad last week.
    Those bloody tailor were the worst Ive ever seen them...Every bait, 10 seconds most!...

Now, you left off the bit about where the spotties are...

Cheers

Rodd,

What's made of cardboard? Don't answer here just to yourself. Yeah go looking there you should find them. Reports say cobes in my neck of the woods in numbers. Going for a look this weekend at places other than tomaree.

Cheers
    Stephan

hey stephan,

did you go to tomree on the weekend?
    i went to shark island, worts fishin spot ever (for live baitin anyway)

Saen,

Mate it was bloody ordinary at best. I think you caught the only decent bluefin to show off that ledge! It was dead but I think 99% of the reason was the trailerboat comp as there were about 40 odd boats sitting off the ledge, and yes some within casting distance! There was plenty of bait and we were entertained by the 6 or so penguins razzing the garies all day but not much else showed up. I got 3 bonnies and a tailor but that was it. One bonnie went 2kg though which was surprising. P*ssed me off that it stole my only slimie for the day and was landed on 15k gear. Not much of a fight that one.

Looking to go other places this weekend. I can only imaging how many men and their dogs that will be getting off that ledge this weekend. I think the fish are hanging about at other places too. It that or they'll all turn up for a big showing on the weekend.

Let me know what you're doing. We should hook up together, literally!

Cheers
    Stephan

where would you go? north?
    i really thought this was gonna be an awesome season, seeing my fish and that 13kg blue before mine
    did anyone alse get any runs?
    you only got one slimy all day, whats going on?
    why didnt you hook the bonnie on, im pretty sure that theres cobe's about
    well im keen to try new spots if you know of any?

cheers

Saen,

mate I have no idea what's going on. I think the dirty water has a lot to do with it though. Tuna don't really like it much, although they have been seen in it before, but I think they've been riding the hot water south to get away from it. All it means is that there'll be late run of fish and we should still see them up until August even September.

Don't know what the go with the slimies was. They were there and they were on the top of the water but no one could get any. I spun one up and a mate got 4 or so spinning and jigging but that was it all day. The thing that has me stuffed is that there's a mile of garies about and no tuna killing them. I'm sure they will turn up in a week or so. There was word of good numbers of fish off Byron a week ago so they should be down our way soon.

Looking to hit local ledges but not Tomaree. Will be waaay too crowded and I'm sick of the mozzie bites. I think the tuna are holding off other ledges anyway, ones not too far away either. I think the cobes will be hanging around there too. Especially if the mullet turn up!

Talk to you soon
    Cheers
    Stephan

Oh forgot to say I had the smallest bonnie on for nearly 2 hours and it didn't even get scared!

No one got a run that day either. As I said too many boats! Where I'm looking to go this weekend rarely gets boat traffic.

stephan,

we went to shark island,
    i guess we expected deep blue water of the rocks, considering it is so close to tomaree and much futher towards deep sea, but its shallow!!!!
    fishing was crap
    we got 3 yakka's and there was gary's swimmin around
    but we couldnt even pick up a bonnie
    it might be a good spot for kingies because its so reefy, just dont know?
    and that walk was definately not worth it!!!
    it was a reel disapointment

suppose i'll be back at tomaree on tha weekend with the rest of the other 30 people there, not to mention the boats

Shark Island? Is that also known as Yaccaba? Or are we talking about Fingal Island that has the lighthouse on it?

I can't give you any PM's at the moment as I haven't racked up 10 posts here. The other places I'm looking at I know have produced good fish in the past but I don't know how consistently. Bait could be a problem at one of them aswell. Squid are easy to get but slimies could be a problem.

They aren't all that deep as far as ledges go but you will find that bluefin don't need deep water. Kings like it but cobes and blues don't care. So long as the garies are about we'll be right. They are easier ledges to get into and they only have a few spots to stand so if you get there first you've got it to yourself all day.

Cheers
    Stephan

what do you guys use to spin up bonnies and yakkas? i assume small chrome lures like a halco 10g is this right?

ba229

for slimy's and yakk'a we use bait jigs
    for bonnies we use smaller live baits, metal lures and bigeer bait jigs

do you cast and retrieve the bait jig?

i guy once showed me to put small pits of pilchard or prawn on each hook and let it sink to the bottom. works a treat.