Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

Re: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

The beaky was caught about 2 weeks ago,
    If ya want big kings than south coast is the go mate, there was a fish nailed here last weekend 35kg!!!!
    I regularly get em around 10 to 18kg and my best is 25kg on 15kg.
    I know that they get kings up north but we get em more consistantly.
    nice live sqiud set deap under a balloon down here ya asken for trouble lol.
    i have a mate who fishes for jews around newy, his name is simon marchant maybe you have met him?
    Anyways all the best.

sean

mate iused to fish wybung head, winnie bay(behind avoca beach)
    every weekend.

have done a couple of trips to tommaree at port stevens

i now live up at brissy have not fished wybung or winnie for about 6 months. i have missed it greatly.
    heres a photos of a kingy my mate caught with me at winnie bay.
    im holding the fish.

good luck mate

KINGY,

Now that is the type of fish i wanna catch, please give me more info
    how did u catch your fish, bait ........

did you catch anything at tomaree, when u went down there
    how often did you get gamefish?

cheers

hey set,

how do you hook squid live under a balloon?
    do you use two hooks?
    does the squid die quick or is there a special way to hook em'
    do you have to rely on wind and water to take the squid out or do they swim
    and how heavy is your trace?
    what is the best bait for kings? because they dont seem to like my yakka's

cheers

Hi Saen
    I only use a single hook, seamaster 7/0 or 8/0 dep on size of squid. i hook em through the very top point good and solid.
    you will be supprised the drift a squid will give you, they are good swimmers and often will swim out when no other bait will.
    They are hardy if treated good. Handle as little as posible, shakem of the jig when ya catchem dont grab em and reef em off.
    I like to set them deep at about 20ft under balloon. In alot of areas this is the depth and the squid will soon swim into a snag and its all over. So make sure the water is a bit deeper than you set the squid. If its shallow in close and deeper out wider you can drop the squid head down into the water and he will catch air in his body and float.but he will still swim out, once he is in deeper water give ya line a few jerks to pull him over and let the air out, then he will swim down deep.
    Squid and slimeys are the best bait i think for bigger kings and smaller kings love the yackas. My biggest kingy was on a bonito near 2 kgs!!

mate the kingy cam from winnie bay on a live yakka
    tommarre best session for me produced 2 20kg blue fin tuna
    and 3 macs it was may last year.
    both caught on yakka on 60pound jinki trace set 2m under float.
    with a 6/0 mustard live bait hook.
    dont have a photo of the tuna but i got and 1hour long video of it.

good luck

HEY HUYS!

i went to tomarre head on the weekend, got there at 3am to be greated by 12 other ppl already there
    as soon as it got light we chucked out a jig and straight a way hooked up, it was huge slimy's, i really thought i was gonna catch a cobe or bluefin that day
    next cast got a bonito which made my heart race, with all this bait around, surley bigger fish had to be around aswell
    but we drifted our live baits out all day and got nothing-
    and no one there got anything either

so i might go up north or south a bit this weekend, i might try terrigal for a kingy?

so we didnt catch anything big, but to see the big slimy's and bonitos was enough to give me a hard-on
    suppose the blue's will show up sooner or later

HEY GUYS,

i know the best time to catch LBG is early mornin & late arvo,
    but what about night time- can they see liveys?
    is it possible to catch em' then?

and does tuna eat live bonito's?

If the bonito fit into a bluefins mouth i recon he would eat it if a shark didnt get it first.
    I have caught sharks live baiting at night but becarful as night time on the rocks has its own dangers, especially at the frantic gaff time. My advice is get a goodnights sleep and attack in the morning!!! Unless ya after jews.

mate wouldnt bother fishing terrigal
    stop at lake munmorah and fish wybung head
    you will have to get there in the late arvo so you can see how to get down
    catch some livies there a re a few rock pools around.
    the rest is up to you and the fish
    if you fish terrigal on the weekend it will be packed and you will be disapointed when you see what is caught and kept rather than caught and released

try wybung head but dont fish there alone and dont fish there in a strong south easter

goodluck

kingfisher25

HI GUYS,

thanks for the advice!
    i went fishing at tomaree yesterday morning, got a couple of huge slimy's and a few little yakka before the sun came up, the wind was blowing offshore and there was bait school all over the place-so the signs was there for blue fin's to be around

i chucked out a slimy and let it swim for a while, put the reel in free spool and chucked it in a rod holder- well the reel screamed, i picked it up and let it run for another 10 seconds or so and striked, she took off even harder and when she slowed down i pushed the lever over and tightend the line to start reeling in, but as soon as i did it the fish came off, so i must not have set the hook in properly? Did i do anything wrong?

thats the only run i had all day, so im not sure what it was?
    some ove the slimy's got bitten in half, probably big tailor or something and some slimy's were just taken off the hook completely without me knowing about it.

i used some off the yakka's on lighter gear and got a couple of salmon? i thought they liked colder water?

we went last saturday but no one caught anything, but rumours are getting around that people caught some and lost some bluefin that day, so im not sure if people are lying about it just to make them feel good or something, but we are positive that no one caught anything!!!!

i will certainly keep you guys updated on the LBG situation down this way!

Is anyone else having any luck of the rocks?

Cheers

JJ

sean sounds like you had everything right but the luck!

THANX FOR EVERYTHING GUYS!!!!!!

I went fishing saturday afternoon to sleep on the rocks to save a spot for sunday mornin,
    well i cuaght a slimy and thought i might aswell chuck it in, there was no one else on the rocks with me
    the slimy swam out about 50m so put the clicker on and chucked it in the rod holder and tied her down
    i just turned my back and the reel went off, she wasnt even clicking anymore it was just a constant zinging noise, thats how fast the line was coming of my reel
    i hooked it and she ook off even faster, probably took off about 400m in less than a minute- well me and the fish fought each other for an 1.5hr loosing line and gaining line
    finally i got the fish onto the rocks, and there was no one else to help me gaff it, so it probably took 20 min to gaff it myself-very dangerous it was!!! NOT RECOMENDED
    i got it on the rocks and i was stuffed!

then it was a slow hour long walk to my car with the fish on my shoulders and blood and slime all over me, it looked like something out off a JAWS movie
    she wieghed 60pd just under 30kg

the next day we had 5 hook-ups but lost em all
    the photo with me and my rod bent like a bastard was a fish i hooked up to that felt twice as big as the blue that i caught
    they called it for a 40kg+ blue,
    30kg yellowfin and
    huge cobia

she had bigger first run and she was fighting all the way, i was 30mins into the fight and she decided to go for another run, i only had about 50m of line left on my reel so i couldnt really give her much line so she busted me up, she was a HUGE fish, alot of power and very heavy

so it had to be my best fishing day ever
    and without all the advice that everyone gave me this would have been impossible, so thanx again

JJ

blue fin on the rocks

My blue after the walk