Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

Re: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

great advice tony!
    i get my slimy's from stockton breakwall-beach side, and at cathrine hill bay of the rocks-but only a few there
    caught one at tomaree head- a big one

cheers

Gday Sean.
    # # #Mate theres a few things that will fill your lbg swag and heres couple of tips.
    Buy a good rod clip and rope to secure your rod and reel to the rocks!!! Sounds obviouse but you be suprised how many people dont have one!!! it will save your rod and reel countless times.
    You live in newcastle so you are in reach of hundreds of good ledges, What you need to do first is work out what you want to chase. Northern Bluefin will be arriving at your door step in the next couple of months and are great fun and a good learning step as they arnt that hard to hook when they are there.Up north nsw, most people fish with 10kg line and under. But down south at jervis bay where i live 15kg line is concidered light. The fish you will encounter down south are usually larger and stronger.
    The other guys have mentioned your north coast species so i wont go over them but down here number 1 target is marlin. I recomend using 24kg for marlin of the rocks as each year they seem to be getting larger and larger.Time for marlin is from dec through to end of april.
    Big kingfish can be caught year round but i found 2 reliable runs a year. Ther 1st run is around june/july and these fish are monsters!! I landed one a couple of years back 25kg on 15kg line with a live large bonito as bait! The other run starts in December and runs through till start of march. These fish can also be monsters but are usually around 10 to 16kg. When you chase the winter kings live squid is the gun bait and for the summer kings the humble slimey.
    Hammer head sharks are a common capture down south averaging 30kg they eat anything that swims. They are common in summer months.
    I have landed mako sharks and thresher sharks around september in cold water form jervis bay tubes.
    If you chase bluefin up your way carry in some live mullet and use them or catch some garfish as they are tuna chocolate!!!
    If you go chasing mackeral get ya self some single strand wire about 60lb stuff should do.
    If you are getting slimies that are small as you were saying and they die quik u are doing something wronge because the tiny ones go hard if looked after.
    Are you taking a pool to keep them alive in? and an air pump?
    And keeping up regular water changes? Dont put too many in a pool as they will go down side up!!
    Dont knock em around when you catch em and dont touch em!! Scoop em out with a net when you want to use one and hookem whilst they are in the net with a hand holding the netted slimey.If you treat them like gold they are hardy.
    Dont spray insect repelent around the pool either another bait killer!!
    Also up north u dont need a hook any larger than a 5/0. I use black magics as they dont loose there point like the hoodlum chem sharpened ones do. Hooks should be offset with the point pointing up away from the bait. In the back should be fine for tiny slimies, hooking em underneath is uasually used for garfish.
    Dont go putting a large ballon on a tiny slimey if you can help it, us a torpedo bobby cork float.If its a bit windy a balloon will murder a tiny slimey.
    Other than that good luck if ya get stuck ask!!!

Oh yeh and as far as weather goes, marlin bite before a southerly change and so do sharks. Becareful up north in the rain them ledges are slippery !!
    Cya
    Set.

hey all

thanks set, thats awesome info.
    i'll definately give everything all a go, and if the results show, i will show you guys!!
    can show my appretiation enough
    thank you all so much!!!!

cheers
    JJ

HEY ALL
    THOUGHT THIS MIGHT BE INTERESTING
    THIS IS WHAT I DO IN BETWEEN FISHING

Nice Work mate,
    Hope it all helps, keep the posts comin when you start landing a few!!
    SET.

Saen
    There ya go mate! Youve got all the local and general knowledge.
    We await the pics of the results.
    Good luck, hold on tight. Regards, Tony

Gorilla_in_Manila

Saen,
    No excuses now. Set has done just about everything except catching it for you and turning up at your house at 6pm with it cooked.
    Now all you need is a removal company to start taking your gear around the rocks a couple of days ahead of your fishing trip.

Shame on you architect - UB's not holding anything up. And I'm sure the concrete boys are going to love you for putting that step in the front bedroom. Just Jokes.

Set,
    Good on you mate. That one was printed and filed for future reference. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    You still looking at heading Iluka way? Any luck with the work?
    Cheers
    Jeff

Hey boys.

yeah all the info was awesome, i really hope it all pays off
    the north easterly has been blowing all week- been heaps hot
    so hopefully it brings more of that northerly warm waters down
    i'll be going fishing on sunday- so i'll put some pics on, on monday

work is flat out- everyone wants new houses now!
    we stopped taking on new work and we will still be busy for the next year

ps. if anyone knows of sports fish off the rocks on the bite, in NSW area
    let everyone know

have a good one guys!

HEY GORILLA

i might fish tomaree head (nelson's bay) on sunday,
    then might plan a trip to the skillion (terrigal),
    then plan a trip to hat head & south west rocks

well if i dont hook up to something decent i would have to be close to hopeless
    hopefully everthing would just go right-but then again what would fishing be if everything went right-not very interesting
    the best part of fishing is just to fish-to catch fish is just a bonus!

well gotta go
    boss just walked in

just to let you know pining them throught the nose does keep them quite but thats why we do it when live baiting from the boats nothing worst than a nice fish cruseing around the boat and the bloody live bait is hideing under the boat
    those slimies can move when they know danger is around!

Hi guys
    Yeh im still planning a fishing trip to iluka but my plans to live there were destroyed by my evil trecherous snake women misses > She thinks ill go there and fish all the time??? ???
    WOMEN
    got 2 weeks off work so im planning on chasing jewfish in the river and marlin of the rocks around jervis bay. sometime in march ill head up to iluka.
    Cyas

HEY SET
    have u ever fished the green cape, south of jervis bay
    i have a book on it and it looks awesome-sounds like theres big fish

No not yet
    I have a mate in melbourne who comes to stay each summer and he fishes it on his way home. He likes it.
    He has caught hammerheads and whaler sharks there. He lost a big kingy the last year at a spot called city rocks. Hot salmon and slimey mack spot too.

TRY PORT STEVENS HEADLANDS
    GET GOOD TUNA & COBE THROUGH THERE
    I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK THERE
    AND IS A SHORT DRIVE FORM NEWCASTLE

GOOD LUCK

hey kingfisher

good info mate, but i need more specific stuff- i know they are there somewhere-i just cant find them
    where are you from?
    how often do you fish there- you fish of the rocks?
    what have you been catching lately