Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

Re: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

scorchy,
    mate the only way to find out if there are fish or not is to put a bit of time into fishin that ledge
    no-one will tell you if there are fish or not because that means that there will be an extra guy on the ledge which makes it harder to fish
    so my suggestion is to get out there and put time in

but i cant tell you ive heard of some fish pulled in that area

cheers

Cheers sean, i was kinda expecting that response
    My occupation at the moment gives me plenty of time so ill fish there a few times a week. Its a pretti well known spot i believe, fished there today just after a few tailor and bream with pillies and had a chat to a few locals about the LBG scene there. Got a few ideas now

Where's pt Perpendicular mate? #there are a number of places with that name. I have pt perpendicular near me also at Jervis Bay.
    Saen worth me wastin my petrol to visit at the moment or what? Got any info for me ?
    Been busy lately and not much of a chance to throw a line but i have been nabbin some bass during the nights. (posted in freshwater)
    Beersy, Hi mate would love to get some pics of ya sometime for my website!!
    Saen that mactuna pic ya sent was gigantic mate abd ya head was cut off?????
    Cheers guys
    SeT.

Saen, on, say, 10kg drop down to 15-20kg leader unless you're expecting kings. Harro's kdogs allow even lighter leaders as the wear load is spread over a greater area but they are a little more visible than standard mono. Set, renovating at the moment...I'll see what I can do about the photos, cheers, Beersy

Mate its in the camden haven region, just south of port

Scorchy,

Mate Point Perp is a good place to look for big fish. It's as erratic as everywhere else but considering there are still tuna a little further south you will be sure to see them cruise past there on their way home. The only thing is they won't hang about long and it will really be a case of right place right time so if you can do every day out there you'll be surprised as to what turns up!

Beersy,

What's happening to the house? Is a good season to be renovation cause the fish certainly aren't entertaining us the way they should be.

Cheers
    Stephan

there are some biig noahs at pt perp when the tuna are running

i'd go 50lb trace for 10kg work, i've seen a mate lose a very good blue at the gaff cos his trace was too light (wore thru). the extra 5 kg breaking strain is worth the extra security for me.

Bung, the new generation monos should allow much lighter leaders than even just a couple of seasons ago. A recent run in with a whaler that a mate and I had was a great demo of where exacty the new stuff is at. Over three hours the shark had 24kg Penn 10X sizzling around the point over the cungie and barnicles on four occasions. Even after servere punishment the line refused to break when we tried to bust the shark off at the ledge. Tried busting 24 over the rod on a snag? Impossible when the "snag" keeps moving. We had to wash the thing up on a swell and cut the line. We're talking well over 100kgs of evil temper that refuses to give in. Although shredded to the point that little nylon webs were hanging from the guides the line would not let go. I've never seen anything like it and if thats a fair example of how good this stuff is then I'm sold. I've no doubt that the 10X leader material is even better, must be ideal for LBG and would allow the use of lighter, less obtrusive presentations, cheers, Beersy

is the 10x material available in the shops? never seen it myself (although truth be told i haven;t looked). i normally use ande leader betw 40lb and 100lb, it is good but a bit thick tho, especially when the seas are flat and water clear and you're trying to send a mini yakka out on anything over 80lb leader. would be keen to try the penn stuff.

ive got some of the 10x, its not a clear mono, its more frosted mono
    i guess its really good because when the sun hits it it doesnt sparkle like other mono's
    and it's nice and limp-doesnt have all those twists in it and its available in most shops

well i think i might get 60lb just because i expect some kingies on the weekend
    and i'll be doing cape hawke and charloute head
    so hopefully some serious fishing time will pay off

Set,
    its pretty much over i think, but as the other guys said there will still be a few runs
    i think it just a matter of being there at the right time
    my mate went fishin at toma last weekend and said there was no one there-thats gota say something huh?
    but when i hear of any blue's i will let you know

cheers

Bung, should be able to pick it up at Bohm's Narrabeen...I think that's where you gear up....if not they can order it no prob through Jarvis Walker. The line's real tough shit, the leader's even better from what I've heard. By the way, 10X is one of the best overhead casting lines around, my reels run either that or Lureline these days. There's S4 available for casting with threadies. Harro was making his Kdogs outa 10X and S4...think he still might be. Anything that Jack Erskine has a hand in developing is going to be a superior product and Jack's put his name to this stuff. Probably better off going as light as you can at this time of year. It'll generate more strikes and you can worry about landing 'em later. cheers, Beersy

Did you felas hear about Mick Spears from Bohms??

The poor bastard fell over fishing for pigs last week.......snapped his ankle in two!! It took two hours to get back to the car and medical attention!!!

Not a happy time for the boys a Bohm's.......god paying him back for the massive pig he got two weeks ago (close to 5 kegs)

Ahmed

Hey Guys,
    Until loosing a good tuna recently, I've been downsizing my leaders. #
    I went down to 40lb black magic and it had not let me down. #I had fought plenty of bluefin (from a boat) on 4, 6, 8 and 10kg using this same leader. #On the 4kg I've fought them for up to 5 hour fights. #After long fights on light line, I figured going up to 10 kg would cope also.
    All that was to go pair shaped at the recent trailor boat tournament. #I'd landed 4 bluefin on 10 kg up to 16kg in two days. #But then hooked a BIG bluefin that didn't stop running (fast) for half an hour. #Then the trace gave way. #It was worn down really fine. #(we got the tuna category sown up but this big one would have won the tournament for us overall!!!) #
    So, at least when using 10kg or above, I'd go 60lb now. #However, all my comments are from experience with Black Magic trace. #Beersy's comments are interesting and could change my mind. #
    Wes

Beersy,

I was under the impression that Harro's KD's were made from Pink. They certainly look it for the lighter weights. I'm currently running #30 for my 6kg work and they're a dream to use. I was using #40's and they really got the rod working but did seem a little too bulky for 6kg. Would be perfect for 10kg work. Actually the #40's would be really good leader for LBG work. They look like they would stand up to even the harshest punishment a big king could dish out. I had some rats run them across rocks and cunje early in the season and they came out unscathed.

Just my opinion but I think anyone who is keen on HSS and even sweetwater casting cannot look past KD's for their leader system is they are to be serious. The advantages are innumerous.

Cheers
    Stephan

I fished a ledge today somewhere between taree and wollongong :-)

Burley'd up the water using tuna oil and mushed up pillies.

I could see LOTS of yakkas at my feet about 20cm long but didn't have a bait jig to get any.

I was fishing for tailor and Salmon using half pillies on a 3/0. 30lb trace (30cm long) up to a swivel with a running sinker on top.

There was no action all afternoon until about 3.30 when all of a sudden i was catching kingies to 45cm. every cast had a hook up. the only problem is they were to small.

The question i have is can i expect the kingies to get bigger over the next couple of weeks? and if so should i continue the way i am or change to livies under balloons etc?