Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

Re: LIVE BAITING OF THE ROCKS

Message removed by ba229

Chiko,
    today is ny forst day in this sight. i just thort you should know that hussein is a reel fishorman.

hey everyone

you guys rock. this is the best lbg site on the web. the guys i fish with won't tell anyone anything but you guys put pictures up of the hotspot and tell us when the fish are biting.

hussein there have been longtail tuna caught at tomaree on puilchards before. my uncle geoff was one of the first dudes to fish the ledge in the 70s and they caught quite a few big bluefin fishing for tailor with pillies

to get to tomaree you drive up the freeway and take the turn off at hexham to nelson bay. then drive through nelson bay to shoal bay. keep going until you get to the mental home than park there and take the paved path up the hill. take the track thet goes around the south side of the hedland and your there. Get the spot right on theb point if you can its best. sleep overnight to get it is bbest.

you guys are the coolest and tomaree is the best lbg spot on earth

tom

saen i no gost ireel. i reed i be jus lik u soon. ina few day you go from no to lbg hero how u du it? my fren sammy an ahmed sho u pillie to catc more soon yes. thank u tommy but i no now an igo soon to tomma an com bac here. hussein

You know it's just a little sad when people have to enter a webdite under a psuedonym to bag out someone just because you think they're blowing the lid on a secret. Tomaree is no secret and everyone knows that when the fish are on it doesn't matter whether someone is posting up success pics or not the place gets crowded. The fact that the season has been pretty ordinary at best and that the ledge hasn't really been all that crowded means that what Saen is doing here isn't really harming anyone. There is a lot to be said for keeping quiet about rock ledges but there are plenty around and really only one well known ledge is being displayed here. So I think it's time we stop being immature and get over it. The season is about over and until next year not that many people will go there. Once the blues show themselves next season every man and his dog will be out there again. Happens every year regardsless of internet broadcast, it's just that kind of a place. The main reason is it is the most consistent ledge for bluefin on the NSW coast. Everyone knows it and have done since a small band of LBG pioneers wandered up the sandy track and hit the ledge for the first time. If anyone is to blame for blowing the lid on Tomaree it would be one well known fishing scribe from the 80's that put the ledge and the groups exploits into print 25 years ago. Most of us were barely alive when this happened and to be fair we are merely getting the scraps of what used to be LBG in NSW.

Personally I say all the more credit to Saen for getting out there and putting in the hard yards in a season that promised heaps and delivered nothing except for the odd large bluefin.

Before I go I will say this, Saen do be careful when go to mention other ledges over this medium. Soon you will start hitting the lesser known hot spots and to blow the lid on these would be a criminal offence, but you know that already

Cheers
    Stephan

I am intrigued by something odd here.

At 5:58pm on 1st Jan 2003 Hussein writes

For me the most unusual fish of the year was also my last of the year. Spinning with light tackle from the rocks along my local headland and my mate pulls out a reasonable tailor. A couple of casts later I land a smallish dolphinfish. Goes to show that you can never be sure what's swimming around out there. cheers, Beersy
    Heres the link if you want to see for yourself.
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...07;start=27#27

In just under 18 months the literacy skills have degenerated to...

Quote Originally Posted by Hussein
    saen i no gost ireel. i reed i be jus lik u soon. ina few day you go from no to lbg hero how u du it? my fren sammy an ahmed sho u pillie to catc more soon yes. thank u tommy but i no now an igo soon to tomma an com bac here. hussein
    Am i missing something here?

LOL This is some funny chit!!!
    Oh sean you lbg hero lol is yout secret pillies?
    Perhaps we should start posting detailed maps!!!!
    Sorry cheap shots!!
    Sorry jj i got ya pm's today, so i didnt get to call you. Will head up again soon as i rego my car, will give ya a buzz before i come up. Shoud i bring some pillies?
    As far as adding mono for 30 meters or whatever i say why bother? If ya losing that much line that ya need braid or fireline then ya hookin the wronge fish or not settin ya drag properly. I have been spooled by really big sharks and marlin but thats it. A 30kg blue "might" spool ya on 4 or 6 kg but saen uses 15kg!!! And if he gets spooled at tomoree on 15kg its most likely a shark, and no great loss. But it will more than likely spool ya on braid aswell. Just cost ya more.
    Yes the extra mono might help in gaffing stages and deep running fish but in places down here a fish can rub you on rock corners 200 m away. I persnally dont see the point. My mate has a 50w spooled with 130lb braid and he uses it for sharks of the beach, he lands sharks up to 250kg from the shore but using 130 you really need braid as you wont get much 130 on a 50w.
    And as far as getting spooled goes 15kg line on a small size tld is asking for trouble,put 10kg or less on it and put som sport into it. Braid is bad for lbg, sorry but a fact.

hahahahahaha.....On ya Beersy, good work!....I was killing myself reading those replies!

Hey Stephan do you talk to Beersy often???....Your "info" is good, but is it 'passed on' from Glen?

Good luck on the w/e fellas....

Rodd,

Yeah I speak to Beersy a bit. Haven't been up for a fish with him for a while though as I've been tied down to Newie with a pregnant girlfriend etc. Also there's been bugger all fish up his way this year. Think it's showing here, boredom does silly things to a man.

Yeah the info on who pioneered the ledge was from Beersy himself. I'd love to have been starting out in LBG when he did. Have you ever seen his photo album? There's some awesome fish in there!

Hussein,

I take it your season has been a bigger dud than mine. Wilbur said you weren't all that impressed with nothing showing during your 1 month super holiday. Have you done any testing on the braid/mono idea you had a few months back? Would be interested to hear the results so far. By the way how did you learn to type so well?

Cheers,
    Stephan

Ya, Ive seen his photo album, the pix of his wife/girlfriend are awesome, great action shots!......

I thought you got alot of infro from him.....With Glen in your corner you should have a 1000 blues yourself!.....I bet your photo album is impressive too.......

That is some dodgy literacy i must say!....Same with a ahmed!! Well pointed out ba229 and chico!

Rodd,

Yes a lot of the information I have gained on the area I live has come from Glen and it is valued information. He really does know what he's on about and I feel lucky to have even met him. The information I have been given I'm sure is merely general knowledge to him and I know there is still a lot stored in that head of his and not much of it will ever be divulged I'm sure. As he said to me a while back 'a man has to have some secrets'.

No my photo album isn't full of bluefin. This season is really the first one I've had the chance to fish properly, albeit as a weekend warrior. Infact my total large fish captures isn't all that impressive which I'm not afraid to say either. Personally I would like to have more big fish in my photo album, but unless I'm out there for 3 day stints regularly each season (something that won't happen now with kids and a full on work schedule on the scene), I can't see those numbers increasing in the near future. Sure the information I put on here makes it sound like I've been there and done that but the reality is that I haven't and I'll never profess to have done so. I'm getting to know my local waters at the moment and have already developed some theories from the information I've gain by numerous sources, so far they are holding pretty true too.

I'm not one that feels I need to prove myself as a fisherman by the number of big fish I've caught. If that makes me a lesser LBG fisherman then so be it but I'm happy with the captures I've made so far considering the amount of time I've put into the targetted species (altough my strike rate on suspected cobes is a little ordinary). I'm happy to catch one of each LBG target species in my lifetime and be able to say that I have fought that fish from the stones. Any subsequent fish is a bonus. Yes any lost subsequent fish is annoying but that is to be expected. I'm not out to prove myself to the rest of the fishing fraternity. Anyone who thinks that way has it totally wrong. If I was, I'd be out there chasing bream on soft plastics and I couldn't think of anything more tedious. I'm just happy to hit the ledges I know of and attempt to catch the fish from them that I'm targetting (preferably on spin) and just enjoy the fact that I'm still able to fish. Anyone who's out there for fishing elitism has lost the true meaning behind the sport if you ask me.

Hope you get into them this weekend. Will probably hit a lesser hit ledge this weekend for a change of pace. Also the local rag has mentioned the 'famous' ledge this week and I'm sure it will be crowded this time round.

Cheers
    Stephan

We were taking bets how long it'd take....ba229 wins the pillies and they'll be in the mail tomorrow! The BIG question was how many of you would help out a newbie without bagging him or leading him astray. I've been giving casting/tuning tips to a few fairly new lbg guys around the place over recent seasons so the "feedback" is interesting. There are no heros or secret spots left in lbg, just a lot of guys wandering around looking for the fish. Ahmed and I rarely give much away about the fish these days but the spots are common knowledge. Rodd and Stephan, the braid thing is working well. Mono casting topshot over braid on overheads for those who were wondering. Gave it a bit of a test midweek and found the system ideal. Tony_N is on the right track and as he points out line capacity is increased which bings into play the possibility of using much smaller, lighter and castable reels from a livebaiting point of view. You don't need leverdrags for bluefin, cobes or kings. The stretch thing is another advantage provided there's some stretch at the leader. Casting lures still requires bigger reels to keep the retreive speed up but narrower models like the SL40's and narrow ABU 7000's are right in there without sacrificing line capacity. Best of all, the braid never needs replacing. When you go through as much mono as I do in a season that's a big saving. Ahmed and I had our fun but ibe go tomma or sumwere no a be bac sun hussein

Beersy,

I think the biggest question being asked now is how much did you boys make out of your bet?

I had a feeling there was something suss about the original post from Hussein but had no idea who it was. You are right about there being no secret spots in LBG except for those ones you know and will keep with you forever. Honestly I believe that if someone blows the bag on a spot for the season then there really isn't all that much point in trying to hide it, especially when it's a ledge like Tomaree where even the local Newcastle Rag does a report on it every week in season. There is value keeping others under wraps though. Some good ledges out there are still hit irregularly.

Thanks for the update on the mono/braid testing. One question though, are you backing with gsp or true braid? I think in this instance gsp sounds like the go as it still maintains a smaller diameter, than say bionic, and really what we're looking at here is line metreage more than abraision resistance.

Interested to hear your theory on not needing a lever drag for kings. I would have thought the greater drag surface area offered by a lever drag would be necessary for stopping kings hard surging runs to the bottom structure. I can see where they wouldn't be needed across sand but any reefy area would spell disaster I would have thought.

Oh, and Hussein, if you would like some help with you're english I'm more than willing to help. I'm good with teaching non english speaking people the finer arts of our language.

Cheers,
    Stephan

P.S. what would be your recommendation the 6500c4 or the new 7000 for 6kg spinning?

If you're fishing 6-10 and lures from 25-85g go the 7000. The 6000-6500 will throw down to 15g but tops out at around 50g if you're using lures needing real speed. Depends on your target species.....if I were chasing frigates and other smaller species regularly I'd go the smaller reel. If bigger species are a regular possibility the 7000 is the way to go. Covering both slots I'd follow Wilbur's lead and go the 7000NS. All these reels need drag mods and Jack's the man for that. Stephan, it's just as easy to put enough pressure on to break line over a star drag as a lever drag. I know guys that landed lurehooked kings at JB to 30+kgs, big yellowfin and marlin on star drag reels...don't underestimate them. Leverdrags come into their own where precise drag settings are required on light line or on fish over , say, 30kgs where the fight's going to be a prolonged affair. Remember, they were designed to be a trolling reel. The greater drag surface area is there to cope with fast fish at trolling speeds. The average lbg fish is gonna be under 30kgs, particularly on the Nth Coast and is no problem for a well maintained multi-disk stardrag reel. I'm really surprised that the "instant drift" castability of modern stardrag overheads is ignored by the majority. The key to lbg is to put your livie (or lure) in the strike zone. A clued up guy who can cast with a star drag is fishing while others are stuffing around waiting for a drift. More strikes, more fish. Also, a slightly longer rod...8-9 ft... than those favoured way down south is a major advantage. Oh' and I wouldn't advocate straight braid on the stones for kings or anything else but there's certainly advantages to be had using it as a backing on both spin and livie gear. Beersy