Thread: Sounder Scroll Speed Settings

Sounder Scroll Speed Settings

Been working closely with sounder lately , trying to get comfortable with what is showing / whats actually underneath me. Question is on scroll speed, what is everyones preference there? Slower or faster? and why?

Jason

Re: Sounder Scroll Speed Settings

I usually use about 75% or so, too fast and I find the lcd screen is a little blurry (no I don't think it is my eyes) but then again the speed at max setting is bloody quick. I used to change it depending on speed but to save hassles I just leave it at what seems to work and that is about 60% - 75% of the available speeds. Cheers

I have mine set to as fast as it will go. Wouldn't want to miss out on any info would you

Faster the scroll speed, the faster you see the info & the more info you see.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Thanks for response fellas, you've convinced me Heath, full speed it is

CHRIS_aka_GWH

find yourself a known under water land mark jason & travel over it at planing speed then trolling speed - this will give you an idea of how to interpret your sounder relevant to your boat.

keep in mind the only readout truely relevant to anything you are doing is the right hand side of the screen - the rest is a graph of depth & intensity of the sounding return inside the transducers cone NOT a picture - when you begin to think that way automatically (takes a bit of practice) you will begin to use your sounder effectively. ie knowing a fish was 2m to the side of your boat in 10m of water by the way its arch appears etc.

i found the lowrance book of sounders (from Kmart) an excellent aid - cahnged the way I used my sounder

Your on the money Chris, i am trying to get a mental comprehension of what i see on sounder as to where the hell it is underneath me, going to kmart today so i'll see if they have that book.

JB

JB
    had a look for them they cost about $15.00 i'll be chasing one
    thanks for the tip chris

Daniel

Siunds like the goods to me. I too, need to refining on exactly how to use my sounder. A book like that would help immensley, cos it can be hard to get someone who knows what they're talking about in sounder terms, to explain that to you unless their on your boat with you at the time. Does everyone split their screen like JB did in the photo above? One more zoomed in sorta thing.

Kmart - here i come.

Hutcho

Nothing can fast track your learning more, than actually using the sounder. Often books give images of what things look like in a perfect world.

For some excellent information on sounders, click HERE

I found the info excellent & usefull.

Another good place to start is the post a month or so ago on sounders, where there were heaps of pictures posted of sounders in the real world. That sort of thing is priceless in getting to know your sounder & interpreting the information it is showing you.

From your picture JB, you are fishing hard reef & have good shows on the bottom & some larger stuff up a little. If anything your sensitivity/gain is a tad too high I reckon.

I usually use split screen when fishing deep water when I run both 200khz & 50khz at the same time. A much better option than using zoom, is to use limits, it lets you specify the upper & lower depths that the sounder displays. That way you get the best picture, by using your full pixel count.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Heath
    Thats great stuff, alot to be learnt.
    Thanks for posting that link!

Regards, Tony