Thread: Epirbs

redspeckle

Epirbs

I have a Epirb that is going to be out of date soon, the eprib make is a GME model no MT250c i rang few of the boating / battery places about them i found out there has to be a licenced person to do it, The lithium batteries in it costs $110 to $180. New Epirbs cost from $200 to $650 and found out in 2009 all Epirbs have to be digtal ones in use .
    I still see we are a throw away soceity it is stupid that something that needs its batteries replaced is going to cost as much a new one .
    Has anyone had the same experience or know of any cheaper alternatives ?

Re: Epirbs

I have replaced the batteries in my EPIRB. I took it out to the GME place somewhere out Rocklea way (?). Cost me $120 I think. Give them a call, quote the model number and ask.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

I found out awhile ago that gme dont replace some of there batteries in certain moudels. I had 2 of them. If you hunt around you can pick a new one for less than $200.
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The older (round) epirbs could not have batteries replaced as they were a fully sealed unit. The newer (square) models can have batteries replaced. New cost of epirb is about $180 - $190 from glasscraft or whitworths. If you can wait a few weeks the brissie boat show is on (end of august), when most outlets will have them on special.

Regards Andrew

The older (round) epirbs could not have batteries replaced as they were a fully sealed unit.

The 2 i had were round. 1 they didn't make batteries for anymore and the other they did, but i just wanted to buy a new as the price difference wasn't much. The top on the round ones unscrews, i know that much.
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi Spiro

My mistake, my old round epirb does unscrew, just tore sticker off where join is. Thought that was where the seal was. I was told that when I took mine to a battery repacker to see if it could be repacked. Goes to show don't beleive everything you are told.

Regards Andrew

trout3030

I have replaced the batteries in a round epirb. Cost about 10 bucks for replacement batteries. They were ordinary run of the mill C size i think from memory. Not sure why it costs so much to have someone else do it.

Trout,

I had batteries replaced in a round EPIRB for about $120. They sure as hell ain't ordinary C batteries though - the battery life is guarenteed 5 years unless used.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

I REPLACED MY EPIRP, COSTS $130 NO WUCKEN FURRIES, ALL LEGIT. I DON,T KNOW WHAT THEY DO BUT IT SURE SAVES A FEW DOLLARS.

I'n new at buying EPIRB's, and was going to wait until the boat show to nab one on special. With them all being digital (is that right??) by 2009, is it best for me to buy the round one, or square one? I only plan on fishing offshore a few kilometres, nothing crazy and want to spend as little as possible obviously. The question of radio is next too, 27 Meg or bigger??! But stick with the EPIRB's talk for now.

Cheers,
    Hutcho

redspeckle

Thankyou everyone who replied to my problem, it was great to get so much feedback. I think in the end i'll just replace with a new unit, at least i'm assured of getting another 5 years service out of it and a new mounting bracket which is making a cow of itself at present. They tell me at the boating stores that although the new digital erpirbs are quite expensive at around $650, By 2009 when the change over will be, they will be more affordable Well here's hoping

Mate got one of the new ones about a month ago and it was about $900, reduce by about $400 by some fed gov grant or something to encourage people to start buying the 415hz epirb, think thats the story, purchase was made at tamer marine in tassie, they do mail order
    cheers
    blaze

whether you change the batteries or not it is the certification by a registered dealer the Department of transport will Be interested in.

If anyone is keen to replace their own baterys, or take them to a repackers, one would hope that enough care and thought has gone in to ensuring that they are guaranteed watertight... all well and good having new batterys, not much chop if the unit fills with water.... I am NOT recommending it, but the limited number of units I have read about expire at the half life.. ie, 5 years, possibly last up to 10 years... BUT I REALLY DOUBT IT... if you cant afford to go out and either replace it now, or get it done properly by a certified service operator, PERHAPS AS A LAST RESORT you could let it go over by 6 MONTHS, while you save your pennys to get it done properly... this of course will not help you if you are inspected by some regulatory authority where ever you are and they see it is expired... and you are required to have it