Thread: northerly wind on sunny coast??

northerly wind on sunny coast??

are the fish always quiet when the northerlys blow on the sunny coast? we fished the banks on thursday evening in very light to variable nthly and caught a couple of squire and a few pearlies right on the high tide then went to chardons and only managed 1 more squire and a couple of other reefiies right on the low tide. any tips ???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: northerly wind on sunny coast??

i have generally found that when the northerly winds are blowing the fishing is quite poor out on the noosa reefs. normally the SE winds are best for fishing as long as they aren;t to strong to make the seas uncomfortable. sometimes a change in bottom can make a difference.
    cheers philip
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

most people say that northerlys are bad for fishing... but ive had some of my best days on the snapper in close in howling NW'ers, so its got me stumped.

I reckon it has more to do with barometer than wind direction as fishing is meant to be better offshore on a rising barometer. It just so happens that in SE QLD the weather is dominated by high pressure systems. Winds with south in them generally mean the high is moving towards us, therefore a rising barometer. Winds with North in them generally mean the high is moving away and hence a dropping barometer.

Like Jeffo I have had some great days fishing in both northerlies and when the barometer is low, so who really knows ??? In the end, it the weather is good I go fishing anyway. Although I do like to analyse why or why not the fish were biting.

Cheers

Mark

IF ITS FROM THE NORTH AT ANY SPEED I STAY HOME & GET SOME BROWNY POINTS UP HAVE CAUGHT GOOD FISH IN
    NORTHERLY JUST CANT REMBER WHEN
    HOGA

try fishing aorund the banks of the maroochydore river. it is good there when u have those northerlys