Thread: Maroochy River this weekend

Peter_C

Maroochy River this weekend

I'm off to the Maroochy river this weekend, just wondering if anyone has been recently, and how they went?we have a boat so should be able to get to most places. Any tips or spots would be muchly appreciated

Re: Maroochy River this weekend

I have fished SP's there the last two weekends....the weekend before was a good one. We got 6 flatties and 6 nice bream on Gulps and Paramax grubs.....windy as all hell last weekend, but we still got a few flatties and a couple of bream, although not as big.
    Launched from the ramp near the Barra park at Bli Bli....then headed up river past the pontoons, past the yellow cross and casted towards the bank.
    Bream from the channel just in front of the ramp just cast into the shallows and sloew roll back to the boat.
    Hope this helps
    Darryl

Peter_C

Thanks for that Darryl, I'll give the plastics a go , but most of the time I think I'll have the kids in the boat as well so will probably be mostly bait fishing .bit less moving around.

Peter,
    I too fished there last weekend and didn't do particularly well. We got 8 bream and 1 Tarwhine but none of decent size (most 23-25cms) using prawns and frogmouth pilchards. Apparently that's been the story for the last few weeks, lots of 'average' fish. We didn't keep any, all released since none broke the 30cm barrier!
    Due to the wind and rain we fished up near Goat Island. If I were you I'd try near the motorway bridge or maybe even up towards the oyster leases (near Bli Bli).
    Good luck, hope you and the kids get a couple. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Herby

herby- good to see you have made your own size limits... seeing people with bream under 30 odd CM's drives me insane! once they have been fillet'd and skin'd there is bugger all left, add to that a few minutes on a hot plate and you have a fish flavoured chip!

Was up at Maroochy River last Sunday with the "Take a kid Fishing Day" at Swan Boat Hire. Most of the kids caught fish although throwbacks were the order of the day. Kids fished around Chambers Is and the foot bridge.

Spotted our very own "Zeeke" do a flypast around lunch-time

Going back for a serious fish on the first weekend in July.

Cheers
    Craig.

if you're in a boat, try the cod hole, large hole just on the sea side of the motorway bridge closest to the road, there are some good fish in there. Swan Boat Hire have got map photocopies of the river that indicate where the hot spots are. Go and see them and buy some bait, i'm sure they will be too willing to help.

Hutcho

woot, ive been spotted hehehehe.. if i knew the take a kid fishing thing was on i woulda stopped and shown the kiddies how to use soft plastics

mate.. stick to the plastics, they'll work.. truuuuuust me, otherwise i wouldnt fish maroochy river atleast once a week with them hehehehe

Eudlo creek is producing some small fish, but a few.. just careful, once you get past the ski area, there is a huge mud bar, need to stick to the outside edge of the river and follow it around till the creek narrows up again, once past that, theres still a couple of small sandbars.. but lots of fishable snags and spots for kids to wet a line and snag a nice flathead or 2

Tim

and Craigie, tell me when ur coming up, try and say g'day to ya while ur out on the water.. maybe even show ya some spots if ya bring ur beast of a boat up

Tim

I'll be in Maroochy this week on holidays, I'm looking forward to it already.
    I'll put a post up on how I go.

Ray

try some small pillifillets just off the sand bars into the deep water and close to the bank near the resort twin waters for some good bream and whiting
    trav