Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: toxic/dangerous fish??

Re: toxic/dangerous fish??

One of the best books available on toxic or dangerous marine creatures and what to do if you are unlucky enough to have a run in with one is:
    MARINE ANIMAL INJURIES TO MAN by Dr Carl Edmonds
    An invaluable reference.
    Covers the full spectrum.

# # # # # # #Regards, Tony

Basically there are countless marine creatures capable of causing harm that you may encounter. However, in saying that it's also a matter of common sense. Most times people are injured by marine creatures, it's because they've done something to aggravate the animal and thus it has retaliated in defence. So, naturally common sense says that if you don't know what it is, don't touch it. If you must touch it, use your wits and apply some caution in the form of protective glove etc.

Basically, estuary environments harbour most of the little nasties you'll need to know about. Stonefish are an ugly little fish that resemble a rock - perfectly camoflaged. They have 13 (I think) vertical spines that inflict a nasty sting capable of doing you serious harm. When walking/wading in estuary areas, WEAR SHOES! Also encountered but not restricted to the estuaries are Stingrays. They're a ray (I'm sure you know what a ray is) with a long slender tail containing a single barb. Again, wear shoes when walking/wading. Stepping on a stingray isn't going to kill you, but it will cause excruciating pain and swelling on the site of the wound.

Blue-Ringed Occies are found, as already mentioned in rock pools, that are wonderful places to explore on beach headlands, rocky outcrops etc. However they are also commonly found in estuaries hiding under ledges, logs, rocks, weed or any other form of suitable structure for that matter. Don't go sticking your hands in crevices, under rocks, ledges etc. If you are bitten by one of these, you're pretty much screwed. Don't take the risk.

Asides from this lot, there are a few species of fish that have barbs of spines to watch out for if you catch them. Flathead are a long, slender, lizard looking fish. They have spines on their head, gill rakers, back and belly, which in effect, makes them a heavily armoured little beast. They certainly won't kill you, but it will give you a poke you'll remember for a while. They're also one of the most common estuary species caught and targeted.

Happy moments are a fish resembling a trevally/bream looking thing with a mottled brown appearance. They have spikes over their back, as do many fish, but the spikes are venemous. Not deadly, but they will give you some swelling and discomfort.

There's a bit of basic information on some of the more common critters anyway. If I've made errors in anything, please correct me people.

The thing to remember though, is there is no need whatsoever to worry about them. As long as you exercise caution, keep your wits about you and take the relevant protective measures necessary when out amongst it all, you shouldn't have much to worry about. Hope you enjoy your time here.

Ben

Just one point Maria
    Wearing shoes, unless armour soled wont help if you stand on a stingray or a stonefish. Their spines will easily penetrate the sole of a shoe. With stingrays the barb will more than likely hit you in the ankle or lower leg.
    One of the best ways to minimise the risks when walking in estuarys is to shuffle your feet while walking. This way you are more likely to scare them away before getting the chance to stand on them. The problem spines with stonefish are on top so a kick in the side is less likely to give you a sting.

Regards, Tony

Also watch out for catfish and other nasty fish that people have caught and killed and just left on the bank [smiley=angryfire.gif] standing on a sharp fin of a fish hurts obviously

There's plenty of things you can do if you do get stung or mammed by something:

If bitten by a shark: Retreve the lost limb and seek medical help in a hurry #
    If stabed in the hand by a flathead: Rub the wound on its belly
    If spiked by a stonefish: Unrinate on it - urine should be a bit more alkaline than the poison.

Please people correct me if needed.

Please add more immediate medical treatment tips.

In case of snake bite carry a bottle of rum.

also carry a small snake.

Thanks for the extension to my points Tony - well advised. Forgot to mention that you need to wear decent shoes, not just dunlop vollies (sand shoes) or thongs (flip flops ) etc as spines will penetrate that feeble rubber excuse for a sole.

Also, be aware that there are certain individuals around that leave their broken bottles, tin cans and a plethora of other discarded items in our environment that are capable of causing you serious injury as well. Wearing solid footwear etc will also hopefully protect you against this type of injury.

Thanks again Tony.

Ben

hi guys

thanks once again for all the advice,i am just getting the kids and us measured for suits of armour so we can paddle our feet when we go down the beach!! LOL LOL

so guys on a serious note,regarding the kids can they play safely in the surf inbetween the flags as you say?

do many children get hurt by stone fish or stung by anything else nasty when playing at the beach?? just they are so looking forward to hitting the wet stuff,that it will brek there hearts if i say the cant go in! ???

suppose if the locals are in the drink then it will and should be o.k for the youngsters??

what do you guys think you all fish these waters if you had or do have kids would you let them play in the ocean??

thanks guys once again for all your help

regards

paul

Paul,
    We tend to employ a system called common sense over here. The fact you've chosen to move here shows you've got your fair share of common sense.
    It would be rare to come across stone fish etc in an area where the flags are up and kids swimming.
    I would try to keep swimming and fishing as separate activities because the best circumstances for one will generally cancel out opportunities for the other.
    It's when you are off the beaten track that you will need to be extra vigilant. Not letting the kids in the ocean would be un Australian. Swim between the flags don't turn your back on them - get them some swimming lessons.
    No need to get paranoid just take sensible precautions - many of which have already been covered.

Safe journey,

Dave

Ratherbfishing

Mate, don't get too paranoid about all this.
    #
    There are about 20 million of us living in this country, 80 % of whom live on the coastal strip, and the vast majority of us get away without being killed or permanently maimed by any of these critters. And ... most of us swim or have swum at the beach ... etc.

I wouldn't mind betting that most of the blokes posting here have been stung, stabbed, bitten, sunburned or what-ever by some of the critters and circumstances mentioned here #... and we all line up to "take our chances" again soon afterwards.
    That's gotta tell ya something.
    When you get here, just use your brains and think ahead, ask questions of the locals (or the official life savers on duty at the beach) and take recommended precautions.

GES

thanks chaps,

i was getting visions of gangs of stone fish jumping on people as soon as they hit the surf lol lol

we have stingrays over here though not as common and also a venemousfish here also called the weaver which is in sandy beach areas and we have never worried about either of these when the kids go for a swim etc etc so i guess as you say was getting a little paranoid!! I had been surfing the web looking at all sorts red backs ,funnel webs,white tip spiders,blue ring octupus,stone fish etc etc the list goes on and we got all these relies over hear going "what about the spiders and snakes and the jelly fish etc etc will the kids be ok"!!!! so we have no conception of what to expect stuck in this place but thanks to you guys you have put me right
    and you say plenty of people live out there without worrying about any of this so i am sure we will be fine and just do as you guys do and swim where you guys swim and we will be fine

thanks guys for calming me down!!

regards

paul

Many years ago a diver swam up to our boat he was white and sweating, obviously in much pain. "I have been stung by a butterfly fish" ( a beautiful tropical fish) he groaned as we dragged him onboard we asked him "how did you get spiked by a butterfly fish?" #his answer #"Oh I had speared it and it slid down the spear and stabbed my hand" #
    Moral of the story #"Don't do stupid stuff and you should be OK."

Don't let your kids play with these either. only if you go north of rockhampton Again the most dangerous thing you can do in Australia is drive down the road, Same as anywhere else in the world.

stone fish by the way are more common in reef areas . which most beaches are not reefy. i think you have a better chance of being kicked to death by a drop bear.

stu ( goanna )

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbfishing
    Hi Guys,

but was thinking that i might go and get myself in trouble with some spikey nasty venemous toxic little critter!
    paul
    Be very wary at times. When the catch crocodiles in urban areas they are usually relocated. We attempt to do the same with the "spikey nasty venemous toxic little critters" who seem to have an outbreak every 3 or so years. There is usually a round up and the worst are sent to Canberra, lesser ones are kept safely in the national capitals.

Keep an eye our for Politiciana Laborii (sub sp Lathammarkii) and Politiciana Liberalii (sub sp Liljohnii), these two are in plague proportions at the moment. Politiciana Democratii are around but are considered harmless and soon to be extinct. Beware especially the Politiciana Greenii, which are easily detected by their pungent odour and are usually harmless until you turn your back on them.