Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The great shark hunt

Re: The great shark hunt

Bungie,

3pm is lines up where going, going to have a few beers that is

there are some starting later, either way 3pm coming or going sounds about right..

radio frequency? 77 VHF would be my suggestion. Dunno about 27 mHz and don't care. Suggest we use the call sign 'Ausfish', since we don't know everyone else's call signs.

Question...which side of Green is the beach?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

what about sharks caught in port macquarie do they count

Hi For those not sure where to go, and dont wont to travel too far, the map below and the areas in red will certainly, see some action.
    If you fish the wider grounds 8-10m you have a chance of being towed around the bay .
    In closer to the shallows, plenty of whalers and stray bulls, with the odd mum or dad floating around.
    Anchor up and if you have a d.r. or improvise drop a leaking bottle of tuna oil down near the bottom, with the odd handfulls of berley off the boat, will certainly draw them to you.
    Use circle hooks for easier release, strait to nylon wire and a 20-50kg mono leader , floaters under balloons or if you want plenty of action (rays/catties/shovels) or smaller sharks fish the bottom.
    Might see you out there, leaving manly 4am to chase other species first.
    regards

got my tags (thanks Stephen), got my crew (Sominc), geared up and ready to go. See you all at Green Is at 3 pm, weather permitting.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."

Apathy is the enemy

If the weather is a bit blowy, I suggest we still go ahead but simply move it to inside the Brisbane river.

Jeremy

Apathy is the enemy

Does anyone know where I might be able to get some tuna oil at a good price ? Found a 4 ltr bottle for $38 ??? does this sound right ?
    Damo.

4 litres is a hell of a lot of tuna oil! A little goes a long way. It's pretty concentrated.

Jeremy

Apathy is the enemy

We are playing for sheep stations aren't we
    I want a tuna oil slick from Mud Island to Cape Moreton to attract the suckers
    Damo.

sounds like we might be fishing in the deep stuff, i like the sound of being towed around the bay we'll be sitting on 77. see you at the beach 3pm, weather and sailfish dependant.

CJ

Where will you be fishing Damo (black_rat)? I think I might share some of your burley trail from a few hundred metres away

Jeremy

Apathy is the enemy

I think an all points bulletin to anyone wanting to swim in the southern end of the bay should be broadcast ....
    Looks like Cleveland point across to Rouse channel and back to the river mouth is gonna be one big burley pot ..

BRING IT ON !!!! #

spent yesterday sharpenning up every hook ...doing some new traces , and soughting out burley .

I have approx 40 kg of tuna already for mincing this week ...i knew there was a reason for throwing them all in the chest freezer last season

The 24kilo tackle is coming out !

i am contemplating an early run across the rouse to get some small live tuna #for baits .....whack em in a tuna tube and come back across around Mud .

how many boats are gonna be on the water ?
    should put a new thread on once we know if the weather is good so we know how many boats are fishing , where we are fishing , radio channels , how many aboard and how many spots are vacant ...

fillets anyone ??

Jeremy

We will be somewhere around Mud Island (as I would imagine a few will be) and you could probably anchor anywhere in Southern Moreton Bay and be in burley trail as Billo has suggested.
    Damo

adam mate i hope your offer for a ride is still up...

Bring it on lads keen to meet a few of you folks

Cheers

Dylan

I've never towed my boat further than the local boatramp 4k's away and close to the GC Seaway so I'm not 100% sure I'll tow the boat up to the Bay to join in. But I'm bloody well tempted.
    Where would be the ideal place to put the boat in, Manly?? I'm a bit wary about not knowing the waterways so am just having a squizz in Brownies Beacon to Beacon.
    Looks fairly straight foward to roll out to Mud but thats just looking at an old map. Any comments appreciated. I'm just on VHF so am I the only one with the cheapie radio or are anyone else monitoring VHF and if so what channels?