Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The great shark hunt

Re: The great shark hunt

Sounds like a plan. How long away are we talking about?

Might chuck next weekend's tuna bycatch in the esky.

We've never been fishing for sharks, so will be an interesting experience. Also, we'll probably have one or two spare spots, provided someone can lend us a tag pole that isnt 'billfish only'. I dont look forward to tagging a raging shark with a deck tagger!

C.J. Maycock

God...just wait 'till the Greenies catch a wiff of this thread [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=laola.gif]. Greenpeace will be organising a secret protest rendevous when we go out. Lol...can't wait to waste some Greenpeace zodiac pirates trying to scale the port side with the high powered deck hose from aboard a vessel.

Peter, unfortunately larger sharks tend to contain high amounts of mercury in their bodies which can be somewhat less beneficial for your continued good health. Something to consider before slicing your choice cuts away from a 2m specimen.

Ben

ill jump on with you CJ if we arent fishin with wayne....depending on what tags they want to put in sharks (maybe the metal tips??) we could prolly knock something up for the weekend.

If you look in the latest issue of QFM, you can read about the shark tagging project. It is run by Stephen Taylor and they will issue us with Uni Qld tags. Sounds worthwhile to me and I have been in touch with Stephen and suggested that he post a message here himself.

Cheers,

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

mmm............ Sharks
    Never caught one before, sounds interesting..... there always a first time for everything
    Might have to grab a 'youllbe' stick just in case. 8)
    I'd give it a go

you could do it like the "flathead classic" and measure them/tag n release em' and the dudes with the greatest total length "wins".
    hmmmmmm i know a great spot for grey nurses(usually a by-catch when fishing for tuna), hmmm nurses love a good mullet rigged up on 49 strand s/s. lotta fin on em' you can see why the pro's targetted them for the shark fin soup market- $500 for a 12" fin

damo'-stop reading here if you are "non-political"!

"vote" 1 bob and save a warty old tree instead of a cardboard box- sad world you live in when you're most "ethical pollie" is a faggit!
    hard to vote for a guy who hits old men or kills children!

DaneCross

Quote Originally Posted by Maria
    God...just wait 'till the Greenies catch a wiff of this thread #[smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=laola.gif]. Greenpeace will be organising a secret protest rendevous when we go out. Lol...can't wait to waste some Greenpeace zodiac pirates trying to scale the port side with the high powered deck hose from aboard a vessel.
    LMAO Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Sportfish_5
    Im in but before this we will need a tuna bash for bait and burley
    Good call Greg, definitly gotta find those tuna. Where are they at the moment?
    This is shapeing up to be a bit of an event! Lets start talking dates. Oh yeh, and what type of gear are we gonna need - what size/types of hooks? how heavy will the wire trace need to be??
    DC

Excellent response sofar, now we have to come up with a time and date to suit you all

October 23/24 or the following wk end sounds about right to me. but any time from now before christmas should suit best.

Dane, we smashed the tuna yesterday off the point, also bonito are in plague proportions... go for a troll out around the 9 mile, otherwise spinning, you might find some good schools in the NE bay area, no need for wire on the trolling lures at present.

Hook size to leave the gape clear of the bait, big bait big fish and a meter of 90kg wire, to a 60kg mono leader minimum, for the over 2m class.

Rob

DaneCross

Cheers Rob, shall get me some tuna somewhere
    I like the sounds of October 30? But am open to other dates. Just looking to book a naughty weekend with the missus soon, but fishing comes first. LOL
    DC

ben

you have a tag gun use it
    "whats the time"

Lol Pete...some tag mate.

Evening of the 23rd I'm already booked in to teach some mates how to fish. Weekend after would be more suitable if that's cool.

Ben

Sounds like fun.
    I seem to be able to catch a few without even trying, so shouldn't be too difficult.
    So now where can I get a few dozen litres of blood (legally).

if i can hitch a ride with someone id luv to have a shot
    any weekend suits me
    scotty

is there a thing as too much blood ??????

lol

If you wave a carton of piss under the eyes of someone working in a slaughterhouse or abbatoir you should be able to get a few 20L buckets of blood and scraps. Who knows....they might even give it to you.

Ben