Thread: GBRMP Announcement

GBRMP Announcement

Just heard on the radio news that the entire GB reef (from Cape York to Gladstone) has been declared a Marine Park.

Does this further restrict rec fishing or is it the media catching up with what we already knew?

Talk about kneejerk! Following their logic the Maurray is salting up so lets declare the whole thing a National Park from the Snowies to the mouth and there'll be no more irrigation.

Would appreciate further info from those in the know.

Re: GBRMP Announcement

From ABC online:
    "Govt unveils reef marine park plans
    The Queensland Government will create the longest marine park in Australia to protect the Great Barrier Reef.

It will stretch along more than 3,600 kilometres of coastline from Bundaberg in the state's south-east to the tip of Cape York in the far north, and will take effect from November 5.

Environment Minister Desley Boyle has told State Parliament the changes complement the Federal Government's new reef zoning plan.

People who fish in rivers, creeks and mangroves will not be affected by the fishing restrictions."

Yeah, right unless you just happen to fish off a BEACH that is adjacent to a green zone!
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

Gorilla_in_Manila

Beat me to it nonibbles, just posted the same article in general chat.
    Better go buy some KY, coz your about to get shafted! >
    Cheers
    Jeff

In other words "Brace Yourselves" if not emediately ???, maybe somewhere down the track again??.

Wasn't it already a marine park? Otherwise why is GBRMPA called the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority?

Maybe it just means more enforcement powers to GBRMPA.

Leo,
    No, the GBRMPA only controlled to the low water mark. At the time of RAP the Qld government made an announcement that they intended to mirror the zones right up to the highwater mark. I have no issue with this as it clears up any grey areas where the zones start and finish for land based fishos. I do believe however that the national parks will reintroduce their original proposal to close access to any waterway that runs through a national park eventually (ie not just the section that is already in the park). And I agree that the increased traffic in the rivers and creeks will cause a rapid depletion of breeding habitat and juvenile fish numbers which will eventually see them closed too.
    For those who can't catch quality fish and want to buy it, you're gonna need a lot of money soon!! Bye Bye seafood restauraunt industry, tackle industry, fishing in general.
    Just wait and see how much of a stink it creates for those elsewhere, who don't give a rat's-****, now when their areas are closed based upon the precedent set here.
    Don't blame me I voted for the fishing party.
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

Perhaps this link might help with some info:

http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/corp_site/m...ing/index.html

It has documents and maps describing the new GBR zones. I think we may be overeacting to Boyle's announcement. The Queensland extension simply means that the State Government has granted the Federal Government the right to include new zones in the enlarged area.

It doesn't mean they will make the whole area green, pink or orange.

I just looked at the Bundaberg map - it doesn't look too bad at all.

Look, I reckon we fishos have to take some responsibility for any green zone introduction or modification because some of us just kill any bloody fish in the sea >

As far as I can tell, there is still a helluva lot of very productive water that can be fished by all of us.

As for closing waterways running through parks, the legislation for GBR management may only extend to the high-water mark. Anything inland of that is QPWS country and not Parks Australia. The government just does not have the resources to close those state waterways effectively, even if they wanted to.

Anyway, my 2-bob's worth (and I'm a Tory and all 8)!)

Can anyone please explain why it starts from Bundaberg and NOT at the QLD BORDER?
    cheers baldy

Hey Baldy
    The reason it starts at Bundy is cause thats as far south as the gbrmp goes!

Regards, Tony

hi thx tony, I thought that it may have had something to do with political suicide if Beattie and co proclaimed it for SE qld.
    cheers baldy