Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The great shark hunt

bidkev

Re: The great shark hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_Harmon
    Hi Kev,

I vary was impressed to read you have caught up to 50 sharks ranging to 3m in size from the sandgate pier. What species of shark have you caught there, and what's the largest you have landed?

I would love to see some of your sandgate pier photo's.

Cheers,
    Simon Harmon
    Hi Simon, nearly every decent size one, was a whaler but I've also caught 2 big grey nurse and a real surprise, of a thresher. I've also had schoolies, blind, black tip, and hammerhead and some bloody *big* wobbegong. There was a dedicated shark angler on there who had a set of butcher's scales and the only one I ever weighed went 75 kilo, taken on a 12/0 and 30lb line on an English beach rod and Ambassadeur 7000, so I wasn't particularly rigged to coping with bigger. The shovelly in the Avatar was taken on 5 kilo line from there, and although not my biggest shovelly is my proudest capture and was reported in the local rag becuse of the crowd it drew when I was prancing up and down the pier :-)

I initially committed myself to jew fishing from there.....I was green to Oz fishing and thought "well, the piers between two estuaries, there's plenty of poddies, so there must be jew"..What did I know? :-) and I was catching shark as a bycatch. Getting past the stingies is the main problem as once I realised the shark potential I fished for only table specimens with smaller baits and this attracted the stingies..big buggers though :-)

I can verify that huge sharks *are* caught from there by some dedicated "floaties* with dedicated gear, who don't get pestered by the stingies. One of the guys paddles his bait out on a surf board then comes back and sits on the pier. Quite a few of them have been big tigers. What they're doing in such shallow water (on a regular basis) is anyone's guess, but I reckon it's the abundance of sting rays (a natural food) that attracts them. I've seen many caught on whole sting ray flaps, a bait I've never used.The fact that I've never accounted for a tiger when others using sting ray have, leads me to believe that the Tigers mat feed solely on them when they are in abundance...I could be wrong.

No photos I'm afraid, as the biggies are released at the landing stage, and I don't take anything of value (camera) onto that pier with the thieving scum around there. There *are* pics of my biggies but they're in the hands of Japanese tourists :-) I've seen some good pics in the tackle shop at Woody Point (I've also taken decent shark from the jetty there on several occasions) but I believe it's changed hands since I was last there so I don't know if the pics are still available.

cheers

kev

Thanks for clearing up the confusion regarding myself and James. I don't want to comment further on the ethics of it all here - each to their own as long as it is legal.

Back to the shark hunt...I plan to go and will be taking my rig. Meeting up at Green Is at 3 pm as other have suggested sounds like a good idea. Hope there isn't a big northerly or storm!

I will be targetting the smaller sharks for C&R. At this stage I will have room for one crew so send me a PM if you are interested.

Cheers,

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

I reely don't give a fu#k what every one else does on there boat or mine.
    Each to there own !!!
    Bring it on !! 8) 8)

Too right Black_Rat,
    a little less time spent by some pushing views on people and more time on the water may just produce the results they are looking for. Make sure you guys get plenty of pics when you fish next weekend, and be safe on the sea.
    Regards, James

Just interested in how the crazy guys that catch these size sharks manage to get the fish onboard without becoming a meal....

My piddly little club of death I store onboard would be eaten in one foul swoop by a shark that size.....

Do you tail tie them and tow em for a while till they drown? Or do you keep a shotgun aboard?

Adam

Mate, the sharks I have posted were all caught land based, fishing stand up on the beach or jetty. Landing one can be very difficult indeed, plenty of rope and determination required. Tail roping is certainly the best method, it's just a case of getting close enough first.
    Regards,
    James

I stopped checking this issue for a while so when the date is set can someone please put up a new topic with all the details and rules of the comp. I understand if not because I'm sure you all don't want me there to catch JAWS. Na---Na--------Na---Na--------Na-Na--Na-Na--Na-Na--Na-Na (jaws song)

Fishinmishin,
    October 30th is the day. rules what rules there is going to be a few drinks around the beach at green island at around 3pm, ill be out near mud island most likley as will many others come say gday if you see my boat, pic below. there isnt any stucture to the whole thing, we are just after sharks that day

Thats a sweet ride there Mackmauler...

Good luck on the expedition guys, I wish I could join in. But I have prior commitments.

Next time...

What radio channels will people be sitting on?

CJ

??? rob

what about a set of "JAWS" mounted for the winner say the biggest...
    captured and presented dead .?????
    OR
    for the release fishers a "PIC"

a jaws trophy would be a great talking point over a couple of beers under the house...
    "whats the time"

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by adamleah
    Just interested in how the crazy guys that catch these size sharks manage to get the fish onboard without becoming a meal....

My piddly little club of death I store onboard would be eaten in one foul swoop by a shark that size.....

Do you tail tie them and tow em for a while till they drown? Or do you keep a shotgun aboard?
    Adam
    I have a couple of Indian Clubs that were used for arm strengthening in the forces. They're like a baseball bat but are weighted with lead inside.........my little lad calls it a "dong 'em deader" :-)

If it's too big to be despatched by that, then it ain't worth eating.

cheers

kev

Pete,

The offer is there from Ben to mount any jaws, it is a time consuming job and I know he spilled some blood getting them right. your best bet is to contact him and work something out.

The finished product is certainly a talking point, any of these sorts of things that reflect a lot of effort become prized possessions.

who knows the way this is going it could become a regular thing

So people don't start fishing till after three,?? or are some folks starting earlier ?? Looks like I might not be able to get out there till later as work commitments have changed to that day

Sportfish_5

Rules - I think there should be one

Don't get bitten

Cheers

Greg