Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The great shark hunt

Re: The great shark hunt

soft single strand, needs to be straightened before use, cheap and easy to twist up, have caught many large ones with this, but much care must be given to it being straight.

twist connection to a single hook with soft stainless.

I have heard that sharks can sense the wire in the water (magnetic field), so it is better to use plastic coated wire. Any thoughts on this?

What are the preferred baits - fresh strip baits, live baits, squid???

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Sound like the kinda fishin chalenge I like pitty im so far away or Ide deckie for fin addict nothin better than opening some woopass

G'day all,
    Good luck with the shark hunt, can't wait to hear how all of you go, hope you get a healthy mixture of hard fighting fish and food. I hope the weather is perfectly suited as well.
    Here's a couple of pics to whet your appetite!

Best of luck!
    James

The hammer above is recent, a couple of weeks ago off Moreton. The hammer and Spinner below are a couple of years ago.
    Again, all the best. And no, we didn't catch them in the rubber boat

James

What did you do with the hammer and the other shark pictured ?

Jeremy, while they can sense wire does that matter? how many times have we seen them taste test boarding ladders or metal cages like most things in fishing it pays to spread your bets around sometimes, im sure Brian had a coated trace on yesterday and my uncoated caught just as many.

I would say if someone was to go for a swim in a trail of tuna oil and blood out near mud island they would be asking more questions than should the 50cm piece of wire im holding be plastic coated or not

baits. tuna, mullet, gar, pillies, livies particularly mullet for mine, a neat pice of tuna fillet with a hook pushed once through the skin so its well exposed, reel fished with ratchet on in free and let run for a few seconds gives a hookup rate about 80%.

As for berley in areas of#strong current surface berley travels too far to fast, better to anchor with berley on the bottom and also on top. fish baits on the bottom, midwater and a floater, more often that not the deeper baits do best.

tuna oil bottles and several of them are easy and work great, pillies and fishframes good but more messy, its important to not put all your berley in one basket.. as sometimes the sharks will bite the line off

Rob

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    I have heard that sharks can sense the wire in the water (magnetic field), so it is better to use plastic coated wire. Any thoughts on this?

What are the preferred baits - fresh strip baits, live baits, squid???

Jeremy
    I use 40 kilo 7 strand plastic coated Jeremy. Put a blob of silicone on the cut ends to seal the wire and kill the magno. Must do it well before hand though to give the silicone time to cure and kill the smell. Dunno though, if the hooks give off a magnetic field anyway? The other field of thought is that a "magnetic field" is likely to be an attractor anyway. I've caught just as successfully on "untreated" rigs when I've had to make 'em up in the boat so I'm sceptical about the magnetic field being repulsive. Shark are inquisitive creatures and it may well be that it attracts just as much as it repels???

cheers

kev

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by mackmauler
    <snip>

As for berley in areas of#strong current surface berley travels too far to fast, better to anchor with berley on the bottom and also on top. fish baits on the bottom, midwater and a floater, more often that not the deeper baits do best.

Rob
    Spot on Rob. I've always found that in water around 30 foot, or less the bait fished hard on the bottom has a much better catch rate. Anything over I tend to fish a floater mid-water also, and I have found that this will catch whereas in shallower water it won't. Even so, and contrary to how many fish for shark, I still find the bottom baits outfish the floaters......in the bay, that is. I have found many bay shark seem to hold crabs in their stomach so whether this is the reason for the bottom feeding, I'm not sure. They seem to eat anything that's thrown at 'em, and agian, contrary to what I have heard, it must be fresh........they really don't go for crappy bait. I change my bait for fresh, every 15 minutes also.

cheers

kev

OK thanks for the replies on that. I might even use 60 lb single strand so the big sharks can bite me off!

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Fishing bottom baits is certainly a hell of of a lot more productive fishing land based. Seems it translates to boats as well having read Kev's post. Local inshore waters fish very well using whole mullet, and as Kev has pointed out, fresh is best, naturally! One tip involves the use of cable ties to attach baits to hooks, allowing points to sit proud of the bait. One thing to be mindful of is always ensuring hooks are super sharp, touching them up with a file can be the difference between results and rubbish. We have always used multi-strand wire and found it great. 12/0 & 14/0 J hooks will fish nicely on wire to 2.5mm in diameter. We always use plastic coated but there is so much conjecture over coated/uncoated that I simply prefer to sit on the fence these days. As a side note though, we've always found plastic coated a bit easier to handle when trying to manage a fish in the shallows, may or may not be the same boat side?

Check out this tiger three of us caught a couple of years back, a whole mullet at Shorncliffe pier produced this!
    Cheers, James

I'll try again......

So what did you do with the Tiger ?

Top effort James.

Serge, It looks like post capture the tiger has become a ride on mower , will you be joining in the shark hunt?