Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CROCS_HOW FAR SOUTH?

Re: CROCS_HOW FAR SOUTH?

Gents, theres a barra hatchery on the Logan river, i dont think they had to swim far.

Barra at the Pin look out !

tshort

Back to the "crocks" there was a story in the courier Mail about a year ago on Maaroom and bloke that was taken in waist deep water holding his boat while his mate pumped for yabbies. a scary story as I remember, the blokes head and shoulders still out of the water while being dragged against the tide! Must be true it was in the courier. Get the odd Barra around there too.

not a natural ranging croc but a croc none the less but i seem to recall on THIS site a confirmed croc living near lismore NSW for a number of years near the abotoirs in the 1970's i think...i remember a newspaper clipping with a photo on it.
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # cheers
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #phil

OK,
    A dumb question !, do QLD Fisheries realease Barra or Jacks north of the Maroochy ??? or south of the Noosa ??

there was a 18.5 foot croc shot at jacobs well in the fifties and barra used to live in the brisbane river, it is population that keeps them rare below rocky not the weather

I know where getting off the subject but I was at a local fishing club presentation the other week where one of the presenters was the a NSW Gov. fishing inspector and he told the dumb struck audience of a barra pulled out of the Georges river some years ago caught by proffessional fishermen using a net. For those who are not familar with the area this is the river which runs into Botany Bay south of Sydney.
    This was early in the night before the liquid refreshments were served so beleive it or not...pezza

I can confirm that big salties do live (or did live in the Mary River) and I have seen some large shapes in clear water (amongst the mangroves) out of Maaroom - they weren't sharks or dugong. A mate once claimed he was "chased" into the mangroves when running a bait net one night out of maaroom.

As for the croc in the Noosa river, it turned out to be a large goanna.

God I miss living in a non-tourist location - "where crocs rule!"

well remembes a salty shot at tiaro , in freshwater,mary river, when i was a kid

The Tiaro story is fact and I wouldn't be surprised if some went further up before the barrage. Apparently, whiting used to be caught from the Tiaro area during droughts.

Possibly a few salties left at the Mary River Barrage - quite a lot of concentrated fish and birds at that location.

I used to tag fish (under a DPI permit) at the Mary River Barrage in the late 80's and on stormy summer nights, I must admit I did feel a little wary on the water's edge. A mate who used to tag fish nearly every night swears he saw one croc three nights in a row.

Tagged a few good fish though!

G'day Fishy Phil,good to see the legend of "Hector" lives on,apparently a Johnson fresh water crock,I never saw him and don't know anyone that did but if he was here you can bet the poor bastard did it tough come winter with frost right down to the waters edge some mornings.

I grew up at Nikenbah (Hervey Bay) in the 70's and 80's and used to see the beady eyes regularly during night time mullet/crab sessions on the Susan/Mary. Again not too big, but enough to make you think twice about getting out of the boat.....
    nil carborundum illegitimi

he we had one here at corrumbin... in the bird sanctuary but as an exhibit that is. and the little bloke in my shoppingcenter near me. was a lil cute

I can remember back in the 60's of a croc in the river near Lismore 8)

Many years ago in Tally creek on the Gold Coast when no houses were up the creek and it only took 10 minutes to pump 100 yabbies. Myself and a few mates used to feed one about 1 1/2 mtrs long , Scared the shit out of us and think someone killed it after word got out. We used to water ski right up the creek till one day we turned our boat around a log in the river ,but the log moved. ???

Flea's was a few hundred yards off the upper river and does house crocs. It was a fish heaven 25 years ago.